Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cutting body panels - how? And 3M panel adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default Cutting body panels - how? And 3M panel adhesive

I'll probably be ready soon to cut out the first section of rust for repair. I'm looking at the lower quarters,flare overthe back wheels and the lower front fender behind the wheel. Imay have a small section of one floor pan too (about 4 X4 inches) What do you guys do for cutting? Given my experience, equipment and work area a torch is out of the question. Reciprocating saw maybe? In areas where it is backed by other metal how would I stay shallow enough to get just the outer panel? Although the wife doesn't know it yet I have been lusting over the Lincoln MIG welders (about $500) at Lowes and am planning to pick one up and learn how to use it to weld in the patches. Although I am curious about the 3M panel adhesive for the fender patches. Anyone tried that? Its supposed to have weld strength for non-structural parts. Lust for Mustang tools doesn't count as infidelity does it?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:30 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Cutting body panels - how? And 3M panel adhesive

you can use panel bonding adhesive there are even strustural adhesives remember the chevy apv stands for all plastic vehicles basical they are composites glued together the panel bonding has greater corrision strength alot of old timers just dont like the idea of glue but it works
Old 12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
6marc5
3rd Gear Member

I can't say much about the 3M glue because I have never used it. I worked in the boat manufacturing industry for a while and can say for a fact that things can be bonded together (including metal) without using a welder. Some of the different glues and puttyswe used we incredible as far as their strength even in structural areas. As far as cutting,I have a pneumatic cut off wheel and a plain old grinder with cutting wheel and they work great.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:16 PM
shr
3rd Gear Member

I use panel adheasives all the time in my shop! They work great as long as the surface is prepped out right! In I-Car training (which is like ASE) they show how some of the panel bond is stronger then welds! Glueing in the floor isnt bad but glueing in the section on the fender may not be advisable! Body work does not really like to stick to the glue once its dried and you would either have to recess the area you glue in or build up the filler to cover the patch! unless you bond the patch to the backside of the panel and skim coat over it then it would work. just make sure to take all surfaces to be bonded together to bare metal and use 40-80 grit to scuff them up to give them a bite. you will be fine, that patch will not come off easy!