Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stuttering Sh*tbox Sally, The Tale of the II

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: Stuttering Sh*tbox Sally, The Tale of the II

That might be the problem child right there!
Its at least a problem ...hopefully it clears up when you replace wires/plugs or both. (or whatever else it will takes to get it to stop arcing.

happy Hunting

Gun
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I'm going to have to say either some loose/cracked/bad connection plug wires. I had the same problem on my 99 f150. It would mainly studder during acceleration or load but sometimes hiccup or studder during constant speeds but not as often.

Fixed the problem with new plug wires.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

well, i JUST made the MSD 8.5 custom fit wires and i was extremely carefull to make sure I did each wire perfectly.

I am going to test them with an ohm meter tomorrow if i can find my damn multimeter, i suspect the problem is in the plugs.

strangely enough i had a second plug that looked black and sooty when i took them all out to see wtf - its the same cylinder that had a sooty plug before and i replaced that one plug. so now i need to look into that cylinder a little more closely. i DID check the plug after installing the new one and running for about 15 minutes and at that time it was 100% spotless - i dunno - its making me nuts.

anywaysssssssss i drove up to autozone to grab 2 plugs, pull in the parking lot @ 8:03. can you guess what time they closed?

[:@]
Old 12-02-2007, 09:53 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

bummer!!! so we'z won't know till tommorrow??!!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

OK!!!!

spark plugs replaced, i'd swear it idles the same in park.... anyways i jetted the carb to 66 in the front and took a ride over to a shop so i could have ma buddy look 'er over. after some fiddling he stuck paperclips in the airbleeds and the thing ran 110% better. we actually had it idling doen to 450 rpm in gear and it didnt die - i couldnt believe it!

SO, i called holley and essplained the situation and they swear that a) it should be "pig rich" and b) everything should be fine with the carb itself. well obviously it isnt and they said if i send it back they'll put it on the bench and check the flow on everything. the catch? the catch is i bought the carb *slightly* used (i mean, brand spankin new looking) but because im not the original owner there is no warranty and they will not assist me in the least.

this is when i bang my head against the wall [:@]

im thinking its time for the ol' "buy a new carb and return this one" trick [8D]

oh yeah, and the holley guy told me "sounds like you need a performance carburator" to which i replied "if my generic 4160 worked great, should your higher end street avenger be a better carb?"...... he really didnt have an answer other than to say these carbs are meant for street performance on a stock / mild motor.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

ok, im sure there have been 18 million "stuttering" threads before but its my time to shine

so, as i accellerate, or even cruise @ a steady rpm the car acts like its running out of gas or something - then its like a magical switch is flipped and PRESTO it sounds smooth as glass - then 3 seconds later its duh-duh-duh-goddamn car-duh-duh-duh all over again.

obviously the first thing i point to is carb trouble, so lets rule out ignition. can a faulty ignition box, coil, distributor pickup, wire, plug?

help me now or i'll going to murder this vehicle [:@][:@][:@][:@]
Buy a Pinto!

Oh. Wait. You already did. [>:]

Buy a Fox body!

Glad to see your problem is fixed. Sounds like what my LeSabre was doing to me while the fuel pump was dying. I couldn't get the car past 30 []and than I couldn't get it to start at all. It sure ran real good of starting fluid!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Isn't there a mustang II section?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

pwnd[&o]

there is, but my problems are engine related, not model year specific to a II. i'd much rather pull from the greater wealth of information all you fine people have to offer.

well, everyone cpet for you 69mach1377
Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

just got an email from the guy i bought my carb from - my carb was used for this article

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...Dyno/index.php
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Gun Jam

I guess its a little late but the Carter AFBs 600 CFM are awesome...real simple work great.

-Gun

Quick Reply: Stuttering Sh*tbox Sally, The Tale of the II