Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mounting an electric fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default Mounting an electric fuel pump

I put a frontrunner serpentine system on my car and need to mount an electric fuel pump. Does anyone have pics of their installation?
The only stable place I can see to mount it would be on the frame rail - I had thought about attaching it to a plate and bolting it to the bottom of the trunk right before the tank but it doesn't seem stable enough. There isn't enough room on the left frame rail so I would have to mount on the right side of the car and feed it back around - also, it is going to be very tough to get it low enough for the sending unit (again, might have to mount to a piece of sheet metal to get it low enough). What is everyone doing to protect it against debris from the tires/underside?
Please help on this, it is the only thing left to plumb and we can try to start this bad boy up(been about a year and a half to get it to this point)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
JamesW

Default RE: Mounting an electric fuel pump

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/FuelSystem.htm

Not sure if you can see a good pic of how I mounted my. Basically I copied the Ron Morris idea of hanging the in line pump from a plate hanging off the trunk area.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:15 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Thanks JamesW (and I should have thought to look at your site - ithas been a great source for me and I am sure many others)! I like your idea with the angle iron (and I just got the tank armor for the top so I can probably bypass the angle iron in the trunk and use a piece underneath).

Is your LP pumpis mounted on a sheet metal piece that is screwed into the unit body where it angles down to the where the gas tank bolts in? It also looks like it isattached to the supporting brace -did you use the supporting brace to provide stability for the sheet metal piece (or is it not bolted to the support brace)?

Originally, I had taken a rectangle piece of sheet metal and bent it back so there was about a 3" lip that I could bolt into the unit body right before the gas tank. My concern is that it is going to vibrate alot if I cannot anchor it down to something - maybe I could take a metal bracket and run it to the frame rail for support?

Thanks againJamesW!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:32 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

JamesW - I had a question from your site regarding the HP pump - the site says " The HP pump mounts in a cradle for support and vibration dampening" - what is the cradle? It looks like there is a rubber hose that runs across the bottom - did you run this from side to side as support for underneath and the rubber hose to help with the vibration?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
JamesW

This the cradle the pump is sitting in.

The LP pump is hanging from a bracket off that angle iron lower brace. If I were just running an electric pump to a carb, I'd mount that plate like thisand hang pump from it. (except make one for 5 bucks)

[IMG]local://upfiles/48409/6E5B17630EFD4D9F92C9F53F61812881.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-02-2007, 10:39 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Awesome, thanks JamesW! I wasn't sure about that. I have one that looks just like this except it is rectangle (I got if from our mechanic in the shop so gratis is definitely the right price). I had thought about welding a straight piece on both sides that would stabilize any vibration in the bracket itself. I was just a little anxious about bolting it into the body piece in front of the tank - I shouldn't be but the metal seems a it thin - maybe I'll put a flat piece on the inside of the trunk to provide some extra rigidity.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:47 PM
JamesW

I didn't make mine a triangle shape, I basically made it rectangular and bent it at about 1/3 it's length.

Here you can see one of the two sets of two holes to hold the bracket.
http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/Fuel/Fuel12.jpg

Here you can see the inside angle braces on the back (inside).
http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustan...runk%20001.jpg

I thought about a brace too...but after I got it in, it was so rigid it didn't need it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

That's where I placed my pump as well. Right behind the pumpkin on the trunk sheet metal. Be sure to use some rubber isolators to help with the noise/vibration if you're worried about it.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

Here's the first one I did on my Mustang:

The pump is a Carter P4070 and came with the mounting bracket which I bent to the angle shown. I also added the rubber isolators.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

Also, it's a good idea to have some sort of switch that shuts off the pump in the event of an accident

Quick Reply: Mounting an electric fuel pump