Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Would you buy an extinguisher for your stang? How many lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM
65Vert
2nd Gear Member

Default Would you buy an extinguisher for your stang? How many lbs?

Have been thinking about this lately. Last thing I would want to happen is to see my Stang go up in flames. Now lets say it is only for occassional use and not really for racing except the once in a while red light screech. Is an extinguisher really necessary on-board? And if you were to get one would a 1lbs be to small? a 2.5lbs perhaps?

Is it a must have or good to have? And are fires uncommon or something to worry about? Well all it would take could be a leak that hits a spark? Or if i convert to petronix will it even matter?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Would you buy an extinguisher for your stang? How many lbs?

if your car is well maintained then I wouldn't worry..but it doesn't hurt to have one!!! expecially when racing and petronix won't solve a spark from arcing......cheap and or faulty ignition components will always cause a spark to travel a path of least resistance to ground[:@]
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 AM
65Vert
2nd Gear Member

Would a 1 lbs extinguisher be enough? Or is that too small?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I have some experience with a vehicle fire.... I used a 2 pound, a 10 pound and about half of another 10 pound to put the electrical fire out. A two pound will give you about 5 seconds of spray time.

A two pound would be the bare minimum IMO, while a five pound will be needed to give you a fighting chance on all but the smallest fires.

For the sake of accuracy, I need to say that this was a truck, not a car, but it could be considered a "car sized" fire. The cause was a shorted out primary battery cable, the result was about $14,000 in damage in very little burn time.

A good size extinguisher (5 pound)is a small investment in money and vehicle space that could save you big time.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I have a 5 pound one in everything i own just in case i have a put it out to get out i dont care about the cars/truck there all insured.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

I am with andrew a car fire extinguisher is only for survival. I do car about the car but it is replacable I and my passengers aren't.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

I got a 5 lb. in my Mach. Mainly just for emergencies. I hope I never have to use it.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:30 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I think we should all have one tucked away somewhere in the car just for an emergency. My father had a 69 Mach and it caught on fire twice from faulty wiring in the dash...
Old 12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
mushaus
1st Gear Member

About 15 years ago Ihad one of those Edelbrock air cleaners that havefoam rubber inside (I thought it looked cool at the time). My car back fired when I was starting it and the air cleaner caught on fire. It looked like the whole car was going up in smoke.Luckily I was near some water.

I'd say fires are rare but if it happens they are more than good to have.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:04 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Yeah i had an electrical fire on the way to school, luckily it was just the fusible link and i was able to move things out of the way while it calmed down, nothing lit up more. Since then I bought a fire extinguisher from autozone that works for electrical fires and the flame fires. Just good peace of mind to have one, i think the one i boughti s like 3 lbs or something, the bottle doesn't say (that i can find at least)

Quick Reply: Would you buy an extinguisher for your stang? How many lbs?