Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front End Alignment and Shims

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 PM
everetteladner

Default Front End Alignment and Shims

I replaced the front suspension on my 65 Mustang this weekend. All is great except that the passenger side tire angles inward at the top (alignment). Also, that side of the suspension maks a popping sound whenthe body is pressed downward. Is is possible that there are not enough shims on the UCA and it is hitting the side engine capartment at the two bolts. I'm I making sense? I'm going to say again: could the front control arm be rubbing the side engine compartment at the pivot point? Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Front End Alignment and Shims

no, some other alignment systems allow you to completely remove the shims and with them all gone I have not seen any clearence issues. Exactly what was replaced and did you make any other changes besides parts?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM
everetteladner

No adjustments were made. I replaced both control arms (with ball joints), coils, shocks, and coil perch. I know my wheel is out of alignment. The popping noise is loud. I know that the coils are in place. I reinspected many times. Could it be the upper control arms need more grease?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Many of the aftermarket UCA's don't have enough grease in the pivots. Did yours come with grease fittings? If so, 'shoot 'em up'. If not, you might want to consider removing them to fit the grease fittings.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

+1 I would go through and grease everything. New suspension parts usually only come with enough grease to protect them from rust. Also what position was the car in when you torqued down the LCA nuts? If the car was up in the air and not down on the ground in normal ride position than you will need to loosen and re-torque the nuts. Also check any thing that may have seamed tight due to bind part but in fact may have been loose, like the spring perch nuts, shock nuts and sway bar mounting bolts.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Polyurethane bushings, if you used them, pop and squeak quite a bit if you don't grease them really well prior to installation.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

You need to shim those UCA's out. Good advice from Daze on where you tightened the LCA, also it matters where you tightened the UCA pivots also ( you may be running out of UCA shaft thread) so that the UCA will rotate on the bushing axis.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:31 AM
everetteladner

Well, I fixed the popping noise. Like everyone stated, it was my upper control arm. I ended up taking out the coil and unbolting the upper control arm from the engine compartment wall. The hinge or pivot point was very very stiff and made noise when I was able to move it. I backed off the two end bolts a bit(near the grease fittings) and it loosend up the pivot point. Now, no noise and the suspension is great. Again, I thank everyone for their help. My wife is beginning to complain that I hav'nt put up the xmas lights and other honey do's, so, no more Mustang projects until after xmas. Next, I think I'm going to detail the engine and compartment.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

by backing off the shaft caps to loosen the pivot action you have made it so the caps may now work loose during driving causing the A-arm to work free. an easy fix is to tack weld the caps to the arm. I do this every time I rebuild a set of UCA that way they can be loose enough to pivot freely but not have to worry about them coming loose.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:03 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

+1to Daze. You do not want those UCA bushings (caps)backing off. everette.. It's possible that you don't have the UCA shaft indexed properly and it's being restricted with the caps tightened properly. With the shaft held in a vice, the UCA should move upwards and downwards at least 45 degrees from center with the caps tight.