Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Another lincoln 5.0 question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Shrinkdude
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Another lincoln 5.0 question...

Firing order should be determined be the crankshaft, I would use the firing order for the '87 5.0L. I just got a '86 5.0L from a Lincoln as well I have up on an engine stand so I am learning this stuff too. If you don't change the timing chain cover you will need an electric fuel pump and drill a hole in the block boss for the dipstick. The water pump connection for the lower hose is on the opposite side of the 289, drivers side instead of the passenger side.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Firing order is determined by the camshaft. The newer 5.0's use the 13726548, versus the 15426378 order for older 302's and 289's. Just move the plug wires to get the correct order.

The crank does affect the firing order, but there's only 1 crank design used by Ford for the little Windsor.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 PM
outlaw66

Ok. That's simple enough. thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. I dont know a lot about 5.0's. Oh, for future reference, should any new posts about this particular engine be in the Classics forum, or the 5.0L forum? Since the 289 heads have already had a valve job with hardened valve seats, would I make more power to bolt those on (after a decent port job)? I don't know the valve size or compression ratio on the 5.0L, but my 289 heads I think are about 64.5 cc. with 1.44 exhaust valves and 1.77(?) intake valves. Remember, cheap power (haha) is my goal...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

You'll definitely need to swap your old oil pan over, and you may considerusing the oldtiming cover and accessories as well. Nothing wrong with the 5.0's serpentine system, but you'd need a different radiator and to figure out what to do with the alternator and p/s (if applicaple).
if you dont want to go serpentinebelt system, you can use your old 289 pulleys and use the old v belt system.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I seem to remember something about getting the right external balance (50 oz-in for the '87 vs 28 for the early engine) when swappin over to the V-belt drive.

And getting/tuning a TV cable so that the AOD transmission won't burn itself up in a hundred miles (might be in that other link).

I did pretty much the same swap into my daughter's car a little over adozen years ago, with a baby 4 barrel (under 400 cfm) and an adapter on the existing TBI manifold instead of either using her 2-V directly (as I recall, the TBI manifold is essentially identical to the 60's 2-barrel intake) or upgrading the manifold as well. Straight 2-1/4" duals, and some tweaking of the tranny mount. Ran great (until she got hit). Lots of the smaller details are getting a bit foggy, though I might have some notes and receipts tucked away that might jog my memory a bit.

Norm
Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 AM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

Here's a link to my AOD page: http://carmutations.com/tiki-index.p...D+Installation

Here's a bit on preparing the 5.0L for the classic chassis: http://carmutations.com/tiki-index.p...r+installation

If you keep the serpentine system, keep in mind that it will decrease the clearance between the water pump and the radiator. Also, if you are using a mechanical fan then the fan will have to be one of the later model version since the serpentine systems typically use a 'reverse rotation' water pump.

JamesW also has a lot of info on his site about the 5.0L swap: http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustang/Engine.htm
Old 12-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: outlaw66

Ok. That's simple enough. thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. I dont know a lot about 5.0's. Oh, for future reference, should any new posts about this particular engine be in the Classics forum, or the 5.0L forum? Since the 289 heads have already had a valve job with hardened valve seats, would I make more power to bolt those on (after a decent port job)? I don't know the valve size or compression ratio on the 5.0L, but my 289 heads I think are about 64.5 cc. with 1.44 exhaust valves and 1.77(?) intake valves. Remember, cheap power (haha) is my goal...
First I want to give you a little quote:

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.

Pick two.
Second, You can always post your stuff in here, 289, 5.0 (302), it doesn't matter. If you aren't getting the answers you need or want a second opinion on it, go ask the guys in the 5.0 section. We won't get too offended, but we may kick you out of our club. LOL!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Shrinkdude
1st Gear Member

Is there any trick to get a distributor gear off?
I have an '86 long block I am slowly rebuilding so I have the distributor from it and I got a vacuum advance one from a '81. I should be able to pull the gears off and put the '86 one onto the '81?
I tapped the pin out of the newer one but didn't want to force the gear off too hard. I assume that it is a snug fit on the shaft keeping it on. Anyone have troubles, hints?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

I seem to remember something about getting the right external balance (50 oz-in for the '87 vs 28 for the early engine) when swappin over to the V-belt drive.

Norm
1968-80 302 engines were built with a 28-ounce imbalance factor.

1981-2001 302 engines were built with a 50-ounce imbalance factor.

Yup. Make sure you use the right flywheel and damper otherwise you'll royally tweak your motor.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:33 PM
outlaw66

Everything seems to be in order. I go to pick up the 5.0 thursday. I can't wait. You guys have really helped a lot. But I have one more question (ok maybe 4 or 5). According to "everything I need to know" then the lincoln would almost definetely have an AOD behind the 5.0.Will my stock auto shifter work with the AOD? i'd like to run it at least til i can afford a B&M Hammer... Oh, and a quick opinion. I wanna do somethin different with this engine, so I'm considering painting it maybe yellow or purple or somethin. What do you guys think? would that be dumb? be honest...

Quick Reply: Another lincoln 5.0 question...