Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Another lincoln 5.0 question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
outlaw66

Default Another lincoln 5.0 question...

Hey guys. I just joined Mustang Forums today, and this is my first post. I got a few questions on an engine swap for my '66 coupe. Right now I have a '64 5 bolt289 (runs hot and LEAKS) andc4 (slips going 2-3)combo, and I found a 5.0 andAOD from an 87 lincoln (town car i'm guessing). The5.0 has around 100,000 miles on the ticker, but is supposed to run well. I can get engine and tranny for $200. Does this sound ok? Too much? Too many miles? I dont think the engine is a H.O. so, is it a roller motor? I'll probably swap the 289 heads and intake onto the 5.0, so i'm not concerned about the EFI stuff or heads, just the block, rotating assembly and the tranny. If you think it's a goodfoundation to build on,then i'll post my planned build and get your opinion on that too. If its a sucky deal then PLEASE enlighten me. Oh, by the way, i'm a college student, so$$$$ is a big factor. Share some of yourendless knowledge. please and thanks.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Another lincoln 5.0 question...

the block is a roller the heads on the lincoln are probaby e6 heads look for a lincoln mark 7 they have the 5.0ho but if not then i guess u can go for this one. how much you paying?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

That does sound like a good deal to get started with. Why not leave the 5.0 heads on it and just swap intake and carb.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

whoops overlooeked the price definitely worth it for 200$
Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
outlaw66

Alright, if you guys think its good then i'm going for it. What kind of performance can I expect out of this thing? My 289 is stock except for amild cam, intake, carb, and flowmasters. I'd like to at least match (maybe surpass)the performance of the 289. since it's a Roller Block then can I use a Ford Racing cam, such as theB303? Or will I have distributor issues?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The intake and carb can be put on the new 5.0L without issue. You'll want to either use the distributor in the 5.0L or buy a gear to put on your 289 distributor.

To be more correct, the 5.0L has a roller cam. The heads aren't going to be roller.

You can use any roller cam made for the 5.0L. Just keep the cam size in proportion to the rest of your system.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

The intake and carb can be put on the new 5.0L without issue. You'll want to either use the distributor in the 5.0L or buy a gear to put on your 289 distributor.

To be more correct, the 5.0L has a roller cam. The heads aren't going to be roller.

You can use any roller cam made for the 5.0L. Just keep the cam size in proportion to the rest of your system.
He is correct, but if you are not using the EFI you will need to put a new gear on your 289 distributor. The 5.0 distributor is made to run with the computer. The roller cam requires a smaller drive gear than the 289 cam. I would stay with the 5.0 heads because they have hardened valves and seats for unleaded gas. To my knowledge the 289 heads are not any better without a lot of porting other than maybe a smaller chamber to raise commpression a bit.Other things to be concerned with, the 5.0 will have a different oil pan and pump pick-up that will not clear the stock suspension. Be sure to save those parts from the 289. Jcomp has a lot of detail on the AOD swap that you may find helpfull...http://carmutations.com/tiki-index.p...I+5.0L+Install
Craig
Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You'll definitely need to swap your old oil pan over, and you may considerusing the oldtiming cover and accessories as well. Nothing wrong with the 5.0's serpentine system, but you'd need a different radiator and to figure out what to do with the alternator and p/s (if applicaple).
Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure, but you may need to replace your driveshaft. I tried to google it and checked a parts site, but I can't find the specs. There may be a difference between the legnth of the driveshaft on the Lincoln and the Stang. You'll need to measure it out once you've mounted the motor/tranny in the car or compare the shaft from the lincoln (if you have it or the measurements for it) to the one you have in there.

As far as the cost, you got a good deal, but I would suggest you have it looked over or do it yourself. $200 for both the 5.0 and tranny is cheap. I got just a 5.0 block w/o heads and intake for $150. If you haven't make sure the motor turns. I personally would get a rebuild kit for it regardless and have the tranny looked over. I don't mean to rain on you parade, but I wouldn't wanna hear you installed it and a week later it all blows up in your face.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the forums! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 12-06-2007, 04:08 PM
outlaw66

Ok thanks for the advice guys. My mustang started out with a 200 6cyl. so i figured i would have to cut the driveshaft, swap oil pans, etc. again.It's already set up for aV8, with an 8 inch rear and 5 lugand so forth.The5.0 is coming from a guy who i've known a long time, and he said if it had problems then he wouldjustgive me another one. He's getting the lincoln ready for a demolition derby, and around here the derby guys always put small block chevies in the big cars, whether the car is a chevy or not (Silly, i know...). He just wants to get rid of it. Oh, and i'mfairly certain he drove it to his shop, so itshouldrun fine. I just wanted tomake sure this is a good platform to build on, because i'd like to runa Ford Racing roller cam, maybe a B303, and some other goodies. Somy 289 distributor will workwith this cam as long as I install a bronzedistributor gear?Firing order and everything will be correct, right?

Quick Reply: Another lincoln 5.0 question...