Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Battery Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:33 AM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

Default Battery Recommendations

Want to replace my battery in my 67 Coupe ,289. Any suggestion on brands or what rating. I was thinking to add a electric fan later should this be taken in consideration.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32123/A6B7E5C5F5B342AD9F94A01B227BDBE0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32123/45DC599FC6AB4FC58AE23E34646F8D49.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Battery Recommendations

A battery equivalant to that of the original..expecially if you are using the factory alternator.....I would not reccommend a matinence free battery meaning ones that the specific gravity OF EACH cell cannot be checked...as maintenence free batterys were designed around today's charging systems and the ability of the alt to charge at a higher voltage and amperage....which in order for a maintenence free battery to be fully and adaquately charged they must be charged at a slightly higher volatage and amperage then what your original factory alt was intended to do
Old 12-06-2007, 08:11 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

"Interstate" if they have them in your area. Just a great battery. Storage capicity is importain (usually the number of plates and size), but the output of your alternator will also impact any high amp add-ons that you may use.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 AM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

"Interstate" if they have them in your area. Just a great battery. Storage capicity is importain (usually the number of plates and size), but the output of your alternator will also impact any high amp add-ons that you may use.
So will the alternator need to beupgrade to handle the Elect fan .The only electrical componets that I have are lights and AM FM radio , no heater fan or anything else.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

You can check the amp draw of the fan and compare it to the output of the alternator. The alternator will produce more amps at higher rpms to it reaches its maxium output. I think most guys on here are not having any trouble with just adding a fan and not upgrading their alternator. Itseems like the stock units produce about 20 amps at idle and increase to about 70 at speed.The lower RPMsis where your battery and its storage will get you thru. If the alternator can't keep up, then the current will come from the battery. You can watch your amp gauge or voltage gauge and either will let you know if the alternator is keeping up. The volt gauge will normally show less than 12 volts if their is not enough amps to pushthe volts. I don't think that I would change the alternator at this point, you can always change that later if you see your stock unit can't keep up.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

You can check the amp draw of the fan and compare it to the output of the alternator. The alternator will produce more amps at higher rpms to it reaches its maxium output. I think most guys on here are not having any trouble with just adding a fan and not upgrading their alternator. Itseems like the stock units produce about 20 amps at idle and increase to about 70 at speed.The lower RPMsis where your battery and its storage will get you thru. If the alternator can't keep up, then the current will come from the battery. You can watch your amp gauge or voltage gauge and either will let you know if the alternator is keeping up. The volt gauge will normally show less than 12 volts if their is not enough amps to pushthe volts. I don't think that I would change the alternator at this point, you can always change that later if you see your stock unit can't keep up.
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

If you are not staying with the stock look..... In my '69,a weekender for the last 5 yrs, I went with the Optima red top a little over 4 yrs ago and have hadno problems other than getting it secured properly. (Batt tray and apron were toast anyway). You may need a different hold down clamp for your 67. MM has articles in tech/how to. The stock alt kept it charged just fine, Plus no corrosive leaks anymore. The optima is a more costly way to go. I have no idea about that charging comment above.

BTW. Just recently added a higher output alt, one wire mod. Nowthe headlights (halogen replacements) don't dim/fluctuate at idle to low rpm. Plan to add LED taillights and electric fan in the near future.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Stay away from the Optima Red Top batteries. Absolute crap. Let it sit for 2 weeks and it is as dead as a stick. I have one and in the last 1.5 years I have had it warrantied out 3 times. They keep renewing my warranty date everytime I take the old one back but it is a serious pain in the sack.

NAPA makes a good battery also.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear. I've never had any of that. Mine is 4+ yrs old. Various sits for up to a month and it holds the charge.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Optima batteries are great. They're designed to hold acharge on the shelf longer than a normal battery. If your battery dies just sitting there, something's draining it. You can't blame the battery for that. I have one in my 67fb and it's been great. After a couple years of working with them at Sears, the only problem I've found withRed Topsis that people will drain them out completely (usually because of awiring short)and they don't like to take a charge after that. Yellow and Blue tops are more reliable in that manner. Under normal use, I've seenRed Topslast 10 years.

Quick Reply: Battery Recommendations