Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

"Shelby Sacks SAAC"

Old 12-06-2007, 07:58 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default "Shelby Sacks SAAC"

Just read this in my local Mustang club news letter (thanks Mark). I know this has been in the making for sometime, but I guessits nowofficial. Looks like on January 11, 2008, Mr. Shelbys 85th birthday, the official website will launch. Although I have been a member of MCA for several years and a Shelby owner (68KR), I never had the desire to join SAAC after attending on of their meets. I just wonder what this new one will be like.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 AM
john721
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: "Shelby Sacks SAAC"

What's new? Is he organizing his own club?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Looks like it to me.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Evil,

What turned you off about joining the SAAC after attending one of their meetings?
I have no qualm about that, I am not a member either, I was just curious.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:03 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Even thought I metseveral nice people, it seemed that everyone was wired tight. I likea little more relaxed atmosphereat a car show and/or driving event. Its funny that I was just talking to a fellow Mustanger this AM and he had a similar experience, lets just say we had the same thoughts. I hope Mr. Shelby's club will be a little more fun loving than my previous experiences at SAAC meets. I would have to say that the 40th in Nashville was one of the best shows of all time.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:07 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i drove up from south ga for the 40th i had a flat tire on the way there and one on the way back in my ranger i drove on the rim for about 20 minutes lol my cousin and i were in the middle of nowhere on i16 the sparks were pretty cool in the parking lane[&:]
Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 PM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

The new Shelby club is called Team Shelby. It sounds as if Shelby Autos prez. Amy Boylen is doing a good job promoting it and answering questions from enthusiasts. I think it's a take-off from the S197 shelby owners assoc. and they are planning several meets per year instead of the single one SAAC holds each year.
I was a member of SAAC for several years when I had my old shelbys and I may join again since I have a new one but I'm waiting to see if they accept the new generation of cars first. Team Shelby is keeping track of all the new cars built and are encouraging the old car owners to join as well.
I wish them success.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Do they plan to track the old cars as well and mantainthe registry? What will become of SAAC?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Thought I read somewherethat SAAC will have to change their name at least a little (IOW, no direct 'Shelby' mention).

Quite frankly, I don't think it's right for ol' Shel to havebenefitted from the efforts of SAAC (and others) in keeping the name and heritage alive over the years (not to mention the generation of useful records) - and to thenturn around and sic his lawyers on them. Then again, I don't know what else might have gone on privately between SAAC and Shelby.

Norm
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 AM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

I read on another forum that Shelby is suing SAAC to get their records, which was confirmed by an SAAC member.
I agree, after years of SAAC flying his banner, keeping records and his legacy alive, he thinks he has ownership of the ownership and VIN records that they kept and maintained. If his cars weren't selling for record amounts of money he wouldn't give a crap, just like he didn't give a crap about his cars when he walked away from it all in 1970.

Search this Thread