Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

export brace and carlo bar going in!!!! sorta

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
ky
America ftw

Default RE: export brace and carlo bar going in!!!! sorta

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

Try jacking one side of the car up. Or try to make a spreader. I got the idea from one of the guys here. Buy a steel pipe, and 1 large regular nut, 1 reverse thread nut, and 2 large bolts to thread into the nuts. You can get it all from home depot for less than $15. Take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld 1 nut to each end of the pipe, then thread the bolts into the nuts. Use a metal plate to distribute the force of the bolts against your inner fenders and just turn one of the nuts and it will spread the sides out.
lol thats my invention!! cool to hear somone is using my ideas lol.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Reverb
2nd Gear Member

Similar thing happened to me, but was from corrosion. Took the braces off and they moved in an inch. Had to use a bottle jack and a bit of 2x2 between the shock towers to jack them apart.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
ky
America ftw

make this and put it between the two shock towers and tighten and watch the export brace fall right in!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Reverb
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: true66gt

make this and put it between the two shock towers and tighten and watch the export brace fall right in!
How do you get it out after you put the export brace on? Doesn't it bolt onto the same mounting studs?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:21 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66ckurt

i got it on jacks right now. Tomorrow ill get it onto the shock towers and see what it looks like.

thanks for all the help guys
Ohh and make sure you remove the shock tower supports that appeared to still be bolted up in one of those previous photos
Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 PM
cylostang

I did the same thing with my 67, tried to get the towers in the right position for 5hrs. Ended up using a 2x4 and a sledge hammer to get it it where i wanted it to go, the only side effect was scuffed paint.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 PM
restomod@16
2nd Gear Member

[quote]

BEAUTIFUL DRAWING!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:34 PM
66ckurt
2nd Gear Member

lol no sledge hammer required. Actually the monte carlo bar was about 1/2 to small for the gap between the shock towers and none of the bolt holes worked, they weren't even close. once i put that in the export brace was next. it was about half a boltover but a gigantic pry bar solved that. I thought it was kinda odd that the carlo bar was to small and the brace was to big. its still of by about a bold hole over the holes on thecowl so i got it up on jack stands (far back on the sub frame) see if it will drop.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

Try jacking one side of the car up. Or try to make a spreader. I got the idea from one of the guys here. Buy a steel pipe, and 1 large regular nut, 1 reverse thread nut, and 2 large bolts to thread into the nuts. You can get it all from home depot for less than $15. Take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld 1 nut to each end of the pipe, then thread the bolts into the nuts. Use a metal plate to distribute the force of the bolts against your inner fenders and just turn one of the nuts and it will spread the sides out.
lol thats my invention!! cool to hear somone is using my ideas lol.
I tried to give you the credit but I couldnt remember who originally posted it up
Old 12-12-2007, 12:31 AM
66ckurt
2nd Gear Member

its been a day now and it hasn't budged so im just gunna drill out the holes and make a plate that i can get welded on so its solid.