Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65' hardtop

Old 03-16-2005, 10:51 AM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 65' hardtop

You guys don't know how good the supra motor is. It is one of the best motors out there. Why would you do it? It a great motor! It would make a great daily driver. You would get about 28mpg and have power! I don't think it would be hard to do. The bellhousing is small and should fit.The rest of it should not be that hard to do. I was thinking about the oil pan. Would it hit anything? If I had a I6 in my mustang, I would really look into it. I think it would be better and cheaper.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: horseshoeing

You guys don't know how good the supra motor is... It a great motor! ...I don't think it would be hard to do...
What are the dimensions of the Toyota engine? Is it exactly the same length and width (as the Ford 200 cid)? Will it bolt right to the Ford motor mounts without any modifications? What about its height: could it be taller and have hood clearance issues? Is it a heavier engine (requiring suspension and brake modifications)? Will the shifter come right through the Mustang shifter hole? Will the fan rest too close to the radiator to turn?

The Ford 200 cid is an excellent engine with tremendous potential. As I said earlier, there are hundreds of thousands of them out there still moving Mustangs around after nearly 40 years. And when the time comes to rebuild one, I have no doubt that it could be brought up to the power level of the Toyota six. I don't think anyone is arguing that the Toyota Supra engine isn't a good power plant. So is a Porsche engine - why not use one of those? But simply establishing the fact that it's a "good engine" isn't reason enough to drop it into a vintage Mustang. At least not without having done it yourself and offering first-hand advice.

Why not use a helicopter engine? That's what Tucker did! I hear is a good engine and I think it might fit...
Old 03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

It is lighter then the Mustang I6 and it starts with 200plus horses. The I6 is heavy and the heads suck big time. If you don't think putting a Toyota motor in a Mustang is a good thing, then don't do it. Lets get real, the I6 is old and ford don't make any good new I6 motors that are any good. Toyota does. I think it would work good and would be easy to put in. Ok, you will have to make motor mounts, so what. Don't know about where the shifter will come up at. Thats something to look in to. If you have to, cut a new hole and weld up the old new. Someone has to be the 1st one to try it to know how it will work. I think it will work great.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:52 AM
hunterzach_02
1st Gear Member

you could just go with the auto trans. that solves the whole hole issue. the hardest part about the whole thing would be getting the fuel injection and ignition system swapped to the mustang. Depending on whether or not you went with the 6mgte or 7mgte, some of the replacement parts for the ignition system are high dollar. Just hope you dont have to buy an igniter ($500 coil for the most part). There would be lots of options though. They might even have a carb conversion for it, though I havent looked myself but they do for everything else.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:31 PM
aamilo
1st Gear Member

NO the auto tranny doesnt' solve the hole issue. If the shifter on the toyota is column mounted then we are talking more fab work. If it is linkage driven you will need to relocate the hole for the shifter location OR you will need to fab some linkage to fit the toyota tranny with the ford hole. You are right it COULD fit right in BUT it could be an absolute nightmare no one knows because no one has tried it. The fit of an engine in the engine bay is not super precise but 1-2 inches can mean the difference between an easy fit and complete refabrication. No one knows the answeres but for example if toyota moved the engine mounts 2 in. in any direction from the ford mounts (and remember the V8 or L6 are both longer motors than the toyota so it is unlikley that the mounting dimentions are the same) then the shifter hole could be under the dash OR the bell housing could be right against the firewall. If you are a fabricator go ahead and give it a go, but If your last name isn't FOOSE or you you don't live next to the producer of Rides I think it is going to be a REALLY big project.

To defend the L6 Clifford performance has made thes engines real screamers. They have large displacement, very strong crank, and with the right bolt on parts can go SILLY fast. And my guess is that for the money he would spend on a toyota motor and tranny he could buy some go fast goodies for his six that would make it much faster, no fab work and the car could be put back to original condidion EASY.

The Supra motor is probably a Great motor I just think it belongs in a Toyota.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Why would anybody put a Japanese motor in Detroit steel? That would make a bastard out of it. Poor Mustang would probably roll over dead.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If I wanted a friggin Supra, I'd buy one. I don't think the poster is asking for a friggin Japanese motored car. He is asking for advice in how to switch his I6 over to a Ford V8.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:02 PM
hunterzach_02
1st Gear Member

Someone would probably put a supra motor in a mustang for the same reason someone would put a 350 chevy in a mustang.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

I think I'm gonna hurl![:'(]
Old 03-18-2005, 01:06 AM
FoMoCo_Jeppe
2nd Gear Member

a mustang in chingchong land...

if anybody feels like this [:'(] while watching the pics.. ill remove them..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 65' hardtop