Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How do you....tranny ? Updated! Please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:18 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How do you....tranny ?

You might as well drop your gas tank to make sure it is completely clean and good, not sure about the drain. I hope you have a filter in front of your fuel pump, as big as you can fit.
Fuel should not shoot out the carb, fire is bad...
Headers; bend and hope a weld does not crack or grind where they interfere, allowing for natural movement.
A very thin layer of goop on gaskets is not a bad thing, apply with fingers...very thin film. Just will be harder to remove later.
Keep fightin' bro
Old 03-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you decide to not drop the fuel tank, then at least put in a hellava filter before the gunk reaches your carb. Keep at it bro. That Stang will come to life one day, and you will be all smiles. There is not much we can do through the internet and monitor to help you, but just give some tidbits of advice and hold your hand. Hope you understand.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

Let's see here....
1) Try using the electric fuel pump you have to suck all the gas out of the tank through the filler, just put a few feet of line in to the tank with a filter between the tank and the pump, and then put a hose in to a gas can to catch the stuff coming out, then drop the tank and replace the junk. New kit, like $120/130 and it has a drain plug.

2) As little as I know about fuel injection, I know less about carbs, except for the fact that fuel should be going on the inside of the engine

3)Headers to bell housing, you can either take a hammer and lightly bend the tube so it doesn't contact it, or make some sort of bracket to hold the header away from the tranny and have it bolt on to the bell housing (like oem's do it)

4)That leak is the return from the tranny cooler, well, your pump is working, problem is you're not giving your tranny any fluid. Fix this FAST, should be some type of flare fitting

5)On all my non exhaust related gaskets I use either this copper spray sealer or another one that's like a spray on purple glue... parts counter guys should know what it is... Works very well except you don't want it on your fingers, I put it on my 302 and had no problems whatsoever. Also made it easy to install since it just tacks on to a clean surface.

Good luck with the car, I just wish I could be at home to enjoy mine!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:33 AM
83GT306
1st Gear Member

That driveshaft yoke looks awful close to the end of the seal dust boot on the tranny. Is that FMX the original tranny for your Stang?

Sounds like you have a needle & seat issue with the carb causing the fuel to pour from the bowl vent. Check your float levels again with the bowls removed. Turn them upside down and make sure they're sitting parallel to the top of the bowl...bend the tabs if necessary, then adjust further with the adjusting nut while it's running. Make sure the fuel is just at the bottom of the sight plug opening while running.

I'm not sure how crude this is, but it's always worked for me on my intake gaskets.
I use a thin layer of Permatex Form-a-gasket #2 around the coolant passage openings on both sides of the gaskets, and some of the High-Tack around the port openings on both sides. Also, I don't use the front and rear cork or rubber seals. I use a 1/4" thick bead of black or copper RTV silicone instead.
After you set your side gaskets in place, run the 1/4" bead of silicone end to end and a bit onto the edge of the side gaskets so it won't leak at the corners. Let it set up a bit before dropping on the intake. It'll never leak.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Wessy
1st Gear Member

Well I shot some video of it running will get that up as soon as I can. I got my new valve covers in today as well. Thanks for all the replys they've been lots of help!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Magiarn71
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 83GT306

Also, I don't use the front and rear cork or rubber seals. I use a 1/4" thick bead of black or copper RTV silicone instead.
After you set your side gaskets in place, run the 1/4" bead of silicone end to end and a bit onto the edge of the side gaskets so it won't leak at the corners. Let it set up a bit before dropping on the intake. It'll never leak.
Always toss those crappy "ready to be blown out" short corks. Bead it like he says.