Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How do you....tranny ? Updated! Please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Wessy
1st Gear Member

Default How do you....tranny ? Updated! Please read

Ok so I started to add fluids to my car the other night. I had a bone dry transmission and it called for 11 quarts. So I put one in the Torque converter and then added about 8 more through the dipstick and the oil oil everywhere!!!! Did I just overfill it or do you have to rotate the trans a lil and then add more? Also I kind of left the speedo gear out would fluid leak out of there? This proves to you how stupid I am about transmissions. Someone educate me PLEASE!! Thanks
Wes
Old 03-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Wessy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How do you....tranny ?

oh yeah here's a pic of where the fluid leaked out. I'm not worried about the leak where the yoke slips in but the one about the mount. BTW this is an FMX transmission.

FULL SIZE
Old 03-13-2005, 12:50 PM
uberGEEK

well...did it all of the sudden start leaking or did it just start this randomly.....because if you just put the tranny in and you were goin to fill it for the first time...you might have forgot to put a o ring on the dipstick shaft.....and I don't know much about that tranny but I had a 81 chevy fullsize truck that I rebuilt the tranny on and yeah leaving that speedo gear out might do something like that.....but I also is that the modulator that I see in the left middle of the pic is that where it is coming out at because it might have a bad o ring or none at all....just some thoughts......
Old 03-13-2005, 01:57 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Did you start up the car to pump the fluid through the whole circuit? This will claim some of the fluid, but will also pressurize and maybe show more leaks. Plumbing...always seems to leak, so make sure all your seals are new.
Why are you not concerned about the rear seal leak?
Old 03-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 69mach1377

Did you start up the car to pump the fluid through the whole circuit? This will claim some of the fluid, but will also pressurize and maybe show more leaks. Plumbing...always seems to leak, so make sure all your seals are new.
Why are you not concerned about the rear seal leak?
My question too. That is a rear seal leak. Replace it.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Wessy
1st Gear Member

because when I started to fill the tranny I forgot to put the yoke back in the rear so that's why there was fluid leaking out of the tail. I rear seal is new. as for the modulator valve there was no o-ring or washer on the old one and none came with the new one so I figured I didn't need one. I did however put teflon tape on it b4 I installed it. another thing is that the fluid leak is coming from above the speedo gear hole yet there is nothing above it. so how is the fluid getting out? As for starting the car up it doesn't quite run yet. I have everything hooked up but timing is way off and I can't get it to start. I used the firing order stamped on the intake but I'm unsure if that's correct since I have a 96 engine from and explorer. Also I only had about a gallon of gas that I put in the tank and I was just adding a little to the carb to see if it would run. I plan on filling the tank with about 10 gal tomorrow , if I can make it up there. Thanks for your help! please post more!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Keep at it...your work will pay off.
Firing order should be same as late model 5.0 and any model 351w.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Wessy
1st Gear Member

I feel so stupid!!! Thanks 69mach the firing order is the same as a late model 302. So I swapped the firing order and she fired right up!!! I was so excited!!!! I'm still trying to get the pump to suck fuel fropm the tank but it seems like it's not going to or I have a clog in the tank . I only put about 5 gallons in so I don't know if that was enough. it should be though. The pump is installed correctly and I even get pressure out the carb end. any ideas as to why the pump can't draw gas from the tank? It's an electric purilator 7psi pump. thanks!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Where did you mount it? Is it below gas tank level?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:29 AM
Wessy
1st Gear Member

Well after tearing apart the fuel line and putting it back together I find out that the tank sending unit is clogged up with this black gunk that smells like terpintine! [:@] I tried to run a pipe cleaner up in there but the clog seems to be at the very end of the unit inside the tank, no way to clean that without removing the sending unit. So here's my next question. I just put about 10 gallons of gas into the tank. do I have to use a syphon or is there a drain plug somewhere? Another problem I cam across was fuel being shot out the carburator! I rebuilt the car so I may not have gotten everything set corectly. I used a pretty poor sheet of instructions. Good news is that I hooked the end of the fuel line into a gas can and used it as a make-shift gas tank. The engine fired right up and ran really strong long enough for me to set inital timing!!! Another bad note is that my headers (I hope) bang against the bell housing and make an awful noise. almost like something is banging really hard in the engine. That and my cooling system sprung a leak, and I cracked a valve cover!!! The thing is fighting me to the death!!!! As for the tranny leak turns out it's comming from where one of the cooling lines connects to the back end of the transmission. When the enigne is running it sprays right onto the crossmember and finally trickles down to the ground. SO I guess I still got lots of work to do!!! YAY!!! I love building cars!!! <---Not sarcasm. Btw a little side note. on intake manifold gaskets I was told not to add any gasketmaker to them, but I'm still worried about a leak going from the cooling side to the intake side. SO is that ok? Damn I ask a lot of questions!! lol ok sleepy time. Thansk for all the help!!!

Quick Reply: How do you....tranny ? Updated! Please read