Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can You Help Me Find It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:36 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Can You Help Me Find It?

Here is what I did....

I cleaned up the oil and placed two clean shop rags where I thought the oil was leaking. One of the rags was wrapped around the distributor and the other was in the valley just to the left of it.

I took her out for a while got the temp up to about 180 and pulled over to check the rags. The only rag that had oil was the one that was placed under where the top water radiator hose goes into the block. If you look at this photo I am pointing at the spot.

Is this the lower intake manifold? If so, anyone have step by step instructions on how I should go about replacing it?

I purchased the gasket kit from my local auto shop, also picked up some new oil, hi-temp silicone, and some radiator fluid.

Thanks for your help eveyone, and I'll be sure to check my Chilton's guide.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

You guys are good. Look at the seal on this intake manifold, it sure looks like oil could get through there doesn't it? Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Again, I am a newbie, but with the right guidance I can learn a thing or two.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:44 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Yep, I think you found your leak!

It is always nice to know there was a problem afterthings come apart. In this case there is no doubt that you had a leak at the front of the manifold.

If it is not too late, do not use the gaskets provided for the front and back edges of the manifold. Instead, use silicone sealer only at the ends of the manifold.

As your old gasket demonstrates, the end gaskets tend to squeeze out.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

Yep, I think you found your leak!

It is always nice to know there was a problem afterthings come apart. In this case there is no doubt that you had a leak at the front of the manifold.

If it is not too late, do not use the gaskets provided for the front and back edges of the manifold. Instead, use silicone sealer only at the ends of the manifold.

As your old gasket demonstrates, the end gaskets tend to squeeze out.
Man, I wish I would have read this post before I put everything back together. I was so worried about the front that I forget to pay special attention to the rear. I let everything sit for about 10 hours and when I started it I heard a weird noise. Turns out that the rear slipped out....

If I do go without front and rear, is there a special silicone sealer that I should use? Or should I just go with the standard hi-temp silicone sealer that I have been using.

Thanks JMD, I think I will go your route. Seems like these gaskets "kind-of" fit.

I was so jazzed up about finding the leak that I even decided to dress her up a bit.....