Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can You Help Me Find It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:08 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Default Can You Help Me Find It?

Let me start out this thread by saying that I am 100% new to Mustangs. I've had some experience with older engines (owned a 1975 Jeep CJ5) and I certainly pick up things quickly so please, take it easy on me if this is something obvious. ;-)

So I purchased my very first 1965 Mustang a couple of weeks ago and when I drove it home there was oil splahed throughout the inside engine compartment. At first, we thought it came from where the dipstick housing went in so I got a new housing, put some sealant on it, and installed it. Snug as a rug, I thought I had taken care of the oil leak, but boy was I wrong.

When I drove it home today, the oil was back. Same puddles, same crap, same situation (can you tell I am a little frustrated?). So, I thought what should I do next? I figured I would take some high-res photos and ask you all to help me find out where in the heck this oil is coming from.

Take a look, make an educated guess, and let's see who is right. I plan on finding it this weekend.....

Old 12-14-2007, 06:56 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Can You Help Me Find It?

I am tempted to say that the leak is coming from the front lower edge of the intake manifold. If this is the case you might need to remove the manifold and reseal it.

Or It might be coming from the timing cover... same procedure to repair, but the manifold would be an easier fix, hopefully thatis where it is.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, that's the first place I'd look too. Also could be the distributor o-ring (or lack thereof), although I doubt that would throw that much oil around.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:04 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Nice, keep them coming. For the record, my buddy stopped by and he thinks the distributor o-ring. I plan on replacing it tomorrow or installing it if it is not there.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:34 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

I agree on the intake notice any power loss?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmanf

I agree on the intake notice any power loss?
Not that I know of but then again I've only driven the car a couple of times. And each time I take it easy because it has a 2-Row radiator and the temp was getting a little up there.

Any other suggestions?

Do you guys know if the manifold screws, valve cover screws, or the timing cover screws need to be torqued?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Change the intake gaskets a cheap and quick job to do.
Shouldnt take more than an hour.
LOL I can yank my motor and trans out in a hour or less now.
Tighten it back in sequence. Watch the rear passenger side tho. hand tighten only.
I broke a good edelbrock intake years back over-tightening it. And as far as your cooling add a fan shroud or better yet a nice electric fan.
Changer your thermostat and a new cap 1st to see if that helps. BTW sometimes those old gauges will lie too you, Ive seen near overheating and the needle barley moved. Hope this helps you out.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

In all likelyhood the leak is from where the front of the intake meets the block, as others have said. This is common on smallblock Fords.

My suggestion is to clean the area very well, start the engine and watch. I would think you would be able to see where the leak is coming from with a little patience. You may have to bring the RPMs up to make it leak with any gusto.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:28 AM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

I would check the front of the intake manifold.Clean it up real good,start the car and rev it up and see if thats where its coming from!Could also be the timing chain cover! If you clean it all real good and get the revs up you should be able to see where its coming from.Good Luck with it and I would definitely put a radiator shroud on it!!! The venturi effect is a must for a 2 core radiator and will lower the temp considerably.[8D]
Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Thanks! Thanks! and more Thanks! Clearly I've joined the right forum. From what was said in these posts, I think I will add the o-ring to the distributor and change the intake gasket.

For the record, I've ordered a 3-Row AND a fan shroud. ;-) It would have been here last Thursday but it was on backorder with Mustangs Plus.

I'm going to wrench on it today fellas and let you know what happens.

Quick Reply: Can You Help Me Find It?