Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Header install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 01:59 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Header install questions

Wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on the "easy" way to install Hooker headers on a 390FE motor in a Mustang?
The driver side manifold was easy to drop out, but I cannot get the passenger side manifold out from under the engine. Tried
jacking up the engine but did not help. May try removing the starter motor and dropping it down where the starter was.

My car has a TCP power rack and it seem that needs to be dropped the get the Hooker headers in, maybe....

Anyone pulled the stock manifolds from a 390 motor while it was in the car?n How did you do it?
Anyone fitted Hooker headers to a 390 with TCP power rack? If so any tips much appreciated.

Thanx

Jav
Old 12-16-2007, 04:20 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Header install questions

Got the passenger side manifold out. Lifted the motor about 2.5 inches and removed the starter. Then by twisting the
manifold it is possible to force it out between the coolng lines for the auto and the side of the transmission. Very tight
but with a bit of effort it was possible. Now just have to get the new headers in there...................

Jav

Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

What the heck three post in my own thread.................

Getting the Hooker Comp long headers in was easy on the drivers side. Dropped the TCP steering unit, lifted the motor a few inches and in they
went. The passenger side was hell...... found that leaving the drivers side engine bolt in and jacking the passenger side ( sump ) of the engine
it gave me more room. Still not enough due to the bell housing. What I had to do was cut the flat flange sections between the pipes leaving plenty around
the bolt holes. So I had four pipes going up to four individual flanges. Then they slotted in as it allowed the pipes to flex a bit. As I am also installing
aluminum heads each pipe will have four bolts so the flange that was cut will not cause any issue. Hope this helps someone or prompts a better way
to get them in there. Did not have a hoist and renting one is near impossible in Tokyo.

Jav
Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

I took my manifolds out to blast and high-temp coat. I totally removed the exhaust pipes and did have to remove the starter.Oh, I had to grind down an edge on my bellhousing. Made it easier for the exhaust to come out.But that was it for me. I would love to put headers on mine, but I was always told there were issues with space. Looks like you did it though. Let me know how that improves things.

Oh, I had my steering linkage out too. Forgot to mention that.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

I just saw this thread or I would have responded sooner. There is no easy way to install headers on a FE mustang. I've done several and had to lift the engine for every one. On my 427 the hookers I had wouldn't work, period. I bought a set of FPA's and they fit witout too much clearance issues but again, I had to lift the engine to do it.
Glad you got yours in.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to follow up concerning clearances. I have a TCP power steering unit in my FE 390 stang and there are no issue with
clearance with the headers or the power steering pipes. Finally reinstalled the power steering today, and looking up at it
I have to say I am amazed at the job the guys a Hooker did on the headers to give as much clearance as possible.
They bolt up nicely to the Edelbrock aluminum heads as well. Just have to wait for the 750 Holley DP and electric fuel pump
and this beasty will be back on the road.............................

Jav