Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

having a couple of major issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: having a couple of major issues

The body on the car is perfectly straight except for some surface rust on the roof that i am going to sand down. And to answer your question, i want to drive it for a little while before i start tearing it apart. It's drums all around, and eventually will be converted to discs in the front at least. But i'd like to get these drums working. I have to pressure in my lines. when i press the brake pedal it goes right to the floor. I thought i had a bad line, but my master cylinder is full of fluid and i do not have any leaks anywhere. i think my master cylinder is bad, but do you think i should give bleeding the lines a shot?

and for the tranny, i will replace that seal asap. I ran my fingers along the bottome of the tranny pan and it was all gooey with liquid that felt like tranny fluid. Maybe the pan gasket is bad?

thanks
Old 12-29-2007, 08:19 AM
1967inline6MUSTANG
1st Gear Member

welcome to the maddness...good luck with your car..
Old 12-29-2007, 09:53 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I made the mistake of letting mine sit for over 8 years, and I paid for it... Be sure to check everything.
Gas lines
Gas tank (OK when parked, pin holes after)
ALL brake components (I replaced the lines, but they did look O.K)
ALL rubber (my redone suspension was toast)
Tranny rear seal.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 AM
musting
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: built67

The body on the car is perfectly straight except for some surface rust on the roof that i am going to sand down. And to answer your question, i want to drive it for a little while before i start tearing it apart. It's drums all around, and eventually will be converted to discs in the front at least. But i'd like to get these drums working. I have to pressure in my lines. when i press the brake pedal it goes right to the floor. I thought i had a bad line, but my master cylinder is full of fluid and i do not have any leaks anywhere. i think my master cylinder is bad, but do you think i should give bleeding the lines a shot?

and for the tranny, i will replace that seal asap. I ran my fingers along the bottome of the tranny pan and it was all gooey with liquid that felt like tranny fluid. Maybe the pan gasket is bad?

thanks
first thought that comes to my mind! is why car set for so long unused?
perhaps ol-cuzz could enlighten you on some things>>> maybe tranny had stopped working reason for parking the car, Tq-converter? then after setting the seals dried out... or maybe only one of the brake cyldr went bad another reason for parking car? one can only think that their were some reason for a perfectly running car to be parked for so long
without being driven, (my assumption only) these problems were their 6
years ago, the reason of thinking this is, I purchase an old -71 Dart a couple years back and the Dart had sit up for about 10 years, the owner had simply got to old to drive it, she told me that the car was running good when parked and she did have somone come over every so often
to start it up but that ended after a year, So anyway I wanted to be sure it wasn't locked up, so I jump start it over but not intending to crank it, only to assure that engine was not locked up. so then I attempted towench it onto my trailer but it would not move 2 of the drums were rusted to the brakes, nothing I could do to free them up,
so I soak them down with catlst pentr oil, and came back the next day,
finally got the car home, I drained the old gas, flush the fuel lines rebuilt the 1 bbl carb & reinstalled put a fresh battery and the Old Dart fired right up Pulled into foreword & reverse gears, Had no problems with the brakes again, and no transmission problems
and no leaks at all anywhere..... Now! my point is not to Contradict
anyone, but only to state that when cars do sit up for extended periods of time doesn't necessarily mean that the car must be rebuilt right away, Most the time a common sense troubleshoot of the problems can usually be resolved with a little time and effort and a minamal ammount of money.
(Providing only) these problems were not the cause of the car being parked in the 1st place.
I say this only because I have bought many old car in the past that has sat up for long periods of time,most do have issues reason for being parked in the 1st place.....
Old 12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

no no i know for a fact the car was fine when it was first parked 6 years ago.this is because i bought it off of my cousins step-father, and i have gone for rides in it way back when i was little and i remember the day that he drove it from virginia to long island without stopping. he bought a cadilac cts and just never had time for the car.