Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What did I do wrong?

It's the oil pump drive shaft.

Man-o-man .

Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

time to go fishin'
Old 12-21-2007, 02:25 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Do I really HAVE to dig it out of the oil pan?

Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

you might get lucky and use a magnet to fish it out. I've had to do it both ways...When you do get it out, you may want to consider an ARP upgrade... either way, insure that the little clip is there to keep this from happening again...

Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sanjosebass

It depends... if the shaft is still in the area between the distributor and the oil pump, it will need to come out. If it is laying flat in the pan it won't hurt anything. If it is out of this area and still verticle in the engine there is a chance it could cause you issues.

If it were my car I would make sure that the shaft is out of the distributor / oil pump area, install a new shaft, and take my chances... I think the odds of this old shaft causing any damage is very, very, slim

When you go back with a new shaft you will not be able to put the retainer clip back on the shaft, but as long as you are carefull not to drop it going in or the next time the distributor comes out then this is ok.

You might consider going back with an upgraded shaft. (stronger shaft)
Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

It depends... if the shaft is still in the area between the distributor and the oil pump, it will need to come out. If it is laying flat in the pan it won't hurt anything. If it is out of this area and still verticle in the engine there is a chance it could cause you issues.

If it were my car I would make sure that the shaft is out of the distributor / oil pump area, install a new shaft, and take my chances... I think the odds of this old shaft causing any damage is very, very, slim

When you go back with a new shaft you will not be able to put the retainer clip back on the shaft, but as long as you are carefull not to drop it going in or the next time the distributor comes out then this is ok.

So basically, I need to remove that clip that came with the new shaft? I think so, since it will not fit in the hole where the distributor shaft sits...
Old 12-21-2007, 03:28 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

So basically, I need to remove that clip that came with the new shaft? I think so, since it will not fit in the hole where the distributor shaft sits...
Yea ditch the clip, it wont help you now. Make sure that the old shaft is not against the timing gear. I don't think that the shaft can get in there, but on our 351 there was a smallopening in the block from the distributor area to the timing gear area. Just something to watch out for, just in case.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:50 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

WOW! I got the old one out with a $12 magnet. It was way down in the oil pan with no nicks or scrapes.

Am I the luckiest guy on the planet right now?

Now, my only concern is putting the new one in with out dropping it in. You guys have any suggestions on installing the new one? I'm afraid if I drop it down the hole I will be back to square one.

I was thinking of placing a dab of silicone in the distributor base to kind of temporarily glue it in place while I line it up.

Any thoughts?

You guys are awesome!
Old 12-21-2007, 04:27 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Maybe put it in with the same magnet you got the old one out with?....

The silicone idea (or maybe some fast set epoxy?) is a good one providing you were to hit the hole in the oil pump....
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, I just wanted to thank all of you again for helping me out on this one.

I put everthing back together and she sounded rough for about 2 minutes while the oil made its way back to where it needed to be. She was roaring, a little timing issue, but she's way better than what she was this morning.

Without your help I would have had to hire a mechanic or something.

Every time I find something wrong, I hate her. Every time I fix it, I love her even more. From what I've read, I guess that's normal. Welcome to Mustang Land I guess.

Quick Reply: What did I do wrong?