Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

4 Point Seat Belts - Will these work

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Copper

Default 4 Point Seat Belts - Will these work

Hi All,

I had a close call yesterday and my original '65 289 Mustang with (4) Drum brakes) almost became my coffin. I had to emergency stop and move out of the way of a woman driving down a two lane road in MY lane towards me. She was in a big SUV talking on a cell phone and poking through the center console. I had to run off the road into someone's yard as she flew by me within inches of a head-on.

I recovered from a slight hit on my head from the steering wheel from the sudden stop and slide in the grass. The homeowner (nice old lady) came out and helped me out, brought some sweet tea and I pulled out of her (now trashed) lawn with appologies.

Anyway, with just this small lesson, I am now looking for a 4 point harness like this one:

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...seat-belt.html

This is more appealing to me than the 3-points that I have seen posted here since the 4th mount can be place on the floor in the back of the seat intead of drilling/bolting on the door or roof and having to modify the interior.

Are there any mounting points at the rear seat and/or the floor that may work?

I have performed a search and read that there are some concerns about the 5-point system if the mount points are not above the shoulders to a roll bar or similar set-up. With this 4-point seat belt system it appears as those this is addressed. It HAS to be better than lap belts. I lost some control of the car since my body was flying forward. The front seats don't lock into place so the seat-backs flip forward in a sudden stop as well. I'm thinking these belts will go right over the stock low-position bucket seats and help keep thee seat-backs in place along with the driver.

What do you think of this set up and any suggestions on the 3rd mount point on the floor or elsewhere in the back? I like the fact that I can use the original seatbelt holes for the other 2 attachment points.

I am really starting to wonder if this car is worth driving now unless I get some added safety features installed... screw original at this point.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Copper

Default RE: 4 Point Seat Belts - Will these work

Also, I read that Ford is going to start adding 4-point seat belts starting in 2009 on all new models. The research shows a big increase in safety. My daughter's car seat has a 4-point seat belt system as well.... I guess I am wondering if it is good for a Classic Mustang as well since there are no headrests, sholder belts, airbags, crash zones, ABS, etc?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:29 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

First off, sorry to hear about your close call. I hate cell phones, and stupid ladies in SUV's. I looked into a lot of seat belt stuff for my 66 cuz my mom said she would pay for it, and that it had to be safe before she let me drive it. I ended up getting the highback seats out of a 69 mustang because they are safer since they will act as a headrest, and the look way cooler in my opinion. I have 3 point belts that connect in the stock locations for the lap part, and then the 3rd point goes to the very corner of the rear interior quarter panel, and bolts through the door. From there the belt goes to a roller unit that is bolted to the floor. It really doesnt look that bad, and after having a shop install it, i can see that it would be a fairly easy job. I think that adds alot of safety, but obviously a 4 point would be better. The best way to install 4 points that I have seen is a small rollcage. They sell fairly cheap in catalogs/online and they add safety in case of a rollover as well.

As to your second question, the more points on a belt the better, no matter what kind of car it is. I would much rather have my body stopped by some straps covering my torso that have it be stopped by my face hitting the dash. Its a scary thought, but 2 point seatbelts dont do much...

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you would like some pictures of my seatbelts/seats.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Copper

Thanks for the reply. I would love pics, thanks. Esp. of the 1969 high-back bucket seats.

I found a metal "post" that sticks up to support the rear bench seat. The metal post on the bench seat slides to the back of this post but the post itself is not really doing anything and has a nice loop for the 3rd point on the seat belt back to possibly clip into. I'm not sure how strong this is however in collision. It looks to be welded in. I may just go with bolting in the 3rd point to the floor or gong with a 3-point seatbelt and installing it to the door area like others have done. I for sure need to do something if I decide to keep the car.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:32 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Okay, here are the pictures. The highbacks also latch in to place so they backs of them wont fly forward in an accident. There are a couple of problems with putting the 3rd point of the belt by the rear seat. You wont be able to use the rear seats hardly at all, it isnt quite as safe, and it just doesnt look as good as the 3 point belts that I have IMO.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:44 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

A 4 point isnt street legal you need a 3 point also should look in to a collapsible steering column they started in 67 or 68 i cant remember the year and most aftermarket ones are too.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure if you can do a rag-joint column upgrade in 65-66 cars. The changeover was late 67, and I'm not sure if the 67-68 columns are the same length as 65-66.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:45 AM
RGtheKid

http://www.cobranda.com/cosebe.html

all you really need
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 AM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RGtheKid

http://www.cobranda.com/cosebe.html

all you really need
Those wont do you any more good then the stock 2 point belts. Your face will still smash into the steering wheel and snap your neck.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Copper

I love the high-back bucket seats. Where did you purchase them? I like the fact that they lock in as well.

Where did you purchase the 3-point seat-belt. Did you perform the installation yourself?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 4 Point Seat Belts - Will these work