Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need Help, battery or Alternator problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Erks Eagles

Default Need Help, battery or Alternator problem

HI everyone, my poor 65 had a rough day today. It's been driving greatbut this morningi stopped at the post office and then when i came back out, the car was dead. It would not turn over at all, made no sound at all. I called my wife and i then jumped it off, it started right up. Well I took the cables off the car and was getting ready to leave when it died. So I jumped it again and then the same thing. It only stayed going for about 1 to 2 minutes after jumping it. I had it towed to my house and took the battery out and had it checked and it still is a good battery. Unfortunately I am not yet a knowledgeable car guy, as much as I hate to say it. Does this sound like it could be an alternator problem? What else could cause this? Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas and I hope everyone has a safe holiday.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:01 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help, battery or Alternator problem

It sounds like the alternator, you can take it off and have it checked at autozone or advance auto for free. voltage regulator, wires and ignition switch are about the only other things related but not likely
Old 12-24-2007, 08:34 PM
pokertramp

Might be the starter. next time it doesn't turn over, try jumping it with a screwdriver. I had a Fiero and at first I thought the same as you, battery or altenator. Both where good so I put a new starter in it and everything was fine.

When you crank your battery over with your battery, the voltage drops and if there is a bad solenoid on the starter it won't kick. I have seen some Fords not start at all unless the starter is in the car,,,,,EX..bench testing. When you jump the car, it is getting more voltage, so thats why it kicks over.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:46 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Im guessing alternator also.. Have it checked like mustanglover66 said..
Old 12-25-2007, 08:44 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Try to clean your battery post (both) and connections to the starter solenoid and ground. Do the simple things first before you spend money. If when you had your battery checked and was still charged, then its probably a loose connection. If that don't cure the problem, then take it by one of the chain auto stores and have them check the alternator and regulator.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, alternator, regulator, or wiring.