Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Which shocks should I get?

Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 PM
JamesW

Default RE: Which shocks should I get?

So has anyone here actually compared KYBs to Koni's or Edelbrocks? I've got GR-2's with 620 springs and I love they way it rides...but I can't tell you if Koni's are any better....

Especially looking for Street driving comparisons
Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

i have not compared them but all i know is they are 1000x better than whatever i had in there (i forget now)

firm ride but it handels very well...i know i have firmer than stock springs in the front but im not sure what they are, the po put them in. i am very happy with them overall and the price was very reasonable.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

the KYB's?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:41 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Like most other performance parts, as performance increases linearly, cost increases exponentially. For most, the added performance of the Konis does not justify the expense. I have them with my Global West front and rear suspensions and it is the best handling car I've owned.

My experience with the KYB Gas-A-Justs were that they were a bit firmer than I liked. I'd go with the GR-2s.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

yep...only part i dont like about them is they are made in Japan

other than that they are great.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 AM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

I just installed a pair of kyb gas adjust in the rear, They were firm but heck of alot better than the damn air shocks that were in there.[:'(]
Old 12-30-2007, 12:43 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Most suff made in Japan is VERY high quality. Konis or Eddy's IAS's are better shocks, and there are much better shocks than those, but for most street cars that don't need/want that much shock, there's no need to spend the money. For the average street car the KYB's do very well, and you won't really notice a difference with a much better shock unless you're racing on a track and you can see it in the lap times. With a really nice suspension setup that was driven agressively and raced, then I'd go with a better shock. But why spend more money on a shock that can dampen beyond the limits of what your suspension lets the car do. Having a totally badass shock with very good dampening control and response isn't of much value if the suspension won't even let you push the car hard enough to take advantage of the dampening control.

For a car that sees track use though, I can definately see the use of an adjustable shock. Dial it with certain settings for racing, and others for driving around.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:12 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: connor90

yep...only part i dont like about them is they are made in Japan

other than that they are great.
I'd much rather Japan than China, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, India,etc etc.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

kyb's are great for the money but they are stiff and with 620's I'd say uncomfortable, I haven't tested them with 620's but with BB springs they were pretty bouncy. I am a believer in koni's back in 89 when I bought mine they were 60.00 each, I still have them and run 620's with a full coil cut and they ride excellent. For ride and handling I'd go the edelbrocks, there is also spax,doetchtech which are adjustable for cheaper than konis and I hear the bilsteins ride better than the kyb's for a high pressure gas shock. QAL's are adjustable as well but I don't know the price. All I can say is if you buy koni's you will never have to buy another shock. If they are good enough for Shelby good enough for me..........

my vert http://htwheelz.smugmug.com
Old 01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

I love my koni's and they are dutch company so I had to buy them!! even though I am not dutch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which shocks should I get?