Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Door Glass Removal and Steering Rebuild

Old 12-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Smeezor

Default Door Glass Removal and Steering Rebuild

Well I've decided to give my mustang some attention during the holidays while I'm out of school, working on getting it ready for paint.
Can anyone write me or direct me to detailed instructions on how to remove the glass from the drivers door and passengers door windows? I've got 2 books, one's instructions don't work and the other skips it completely. I tried unbolting everything I could get my hands on but I just couldn't seem to get the window to move in any direction at the top.[:@] I'm also thinking about further upgrades to the suspension, I think I'm going to buy kyb gas adjust shocks but I was also looking at steering box rebuild kits or the flaming river rack and pinion box. How do I determine if my steering box is in need of a rebuild and what are your different experiences with working on steering. If it's important, I'm trying to achieve power steering consistency with minimal wandering of the car. Mostly I'm trying to get away from the family volkswagen herd that steers themselves around on the highways.

Thanks in advance for your imput
-James
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
DanJ

Default RE: Door Glass Removal and Steering Rebuild

This is what worked for me... CAUTION this is only in my opinion because you will have other people repond with horror stories about their experiences with a similar product. I tried a new Flaming River gearbox to fix the famous on center steering wander that old Mustangs have and I still was not happy. I have now upgraded to a rack and pinion set up from Unisteer and it works well. Good, tight and responsive steering. I have a 429 Cobrajet big block with an automatic C-6 in my 69 Mach 1 and the install and fit went good. It even cleared my shorty headers. Some people have had trouble with the R & P set up if you have a manual tranny but as with everything you can't please everyone all the time. I see them for sale on Ebay for around $750.00 or you can buy direct from the manufacturer. Check the web site at UNISTEER.com. There are several companies out there that offer rack set ups so shop around and good luck.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Door Glass Removal and Steering Rebuild

Make sure the rear window channel is unbolted and laying on the floor of the door. That's the only way you'll buy the room to move the glass. You may have to loosen up the vent window assembly because its the front channel of the glass. The glass comes out, rear end first, at an extreme angle. You also have to remove the 'whiskers' at the top of the door opening.