Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How far gone is too far gone?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:08 AM
ponyracer1

Default How far gone is too far gone?

I've got a rustang 68 coupe that I just put new pans in so I have a little experience in that sort of work.

Here's the deal, found a 68 fastback shell with doors, fenders, decklid, and interior (in a box). One SMALL catch, 10-15 yrs ago when mustangs weren't worth much the guy that owns it decided to make a drag car. Since the floor was rusted out he took a torch and traced the floor with it, the sills are there but thats it. no pans, inner/outer wheelhouse, trunk pans, framerails, etc. The only thing I can't remember is if the dash is in it. The front is gone at the firewall.

I know it's savable but is it worth it?? The guy wants between $400-1500 (haven't nailed down a price yet). So what's it worth? Supposedly the guy stripped the glass and int and has it.

I was thinking about getting a 6 cyl sn95 or newer and grafting the shell onto the newer pan. Or sticking the roof on my coupe?? Or laughing and walking away??
Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 AM
greenbay stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How far gone is too far gone?

I guess it comes down to how much skill and resources you have. If you can get it for $400 and can do all the work your self it might be. I have a 65 fastback I am restoring for a customer right now. I replace(most was already cut out) rear frame rails and torque boxs, fenders, quarters, doors, floors, transition pan, wheel wells, parts of the front frame, all front engine bay aprons, rockers inners, rocker outers, Parts of the firewall and a few other small parts. This is just the metal work. Now if I was doing it for my self I would have under $4000 in metal and when done basically a new car but you need welder, plasma cutter, and a few other tools to help out. You would be ahead ordering the complete floor pan ($450) and transtion/ trunk pan ($420) and complete rear frame rails ($450 pair) and you now have the floors and frames in complete with the only seam to weld between the floor and transtion pan. In the end it depends on you and how much you like the car and how much you can afford and do. And if you do go ahead and get it a good tip is to get it all tacked together and bring it to a frame straighting shop and check it before finish welding it (saved me on a couple of really bad projects that looked good and measured up right).
Todd
Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 AM
ponyracer1

Default RE: How far gone is too far gone?

I have no prob doing the work, just wondering if it was worth it.Thanks for the tip on the frame straightening.

Search this Thread