Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

changed timing chain, now water pump pulley touches crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:49 PM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

Default changed timing chain, now water pump pulley touches crank pulley

I replaced my timing chain and I reinstalled my original timing cover. Now my water pump pulley occasionally touches my crankshaft pulley. I measured the water pump pulley to be a 6" diameter. Anyone know what diameter the correct one is supposed to be?

Anyone have used one they want to sell?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:00 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: changed timing chain, now water pump pulley touches crank pulley

Good question!

So good that I ended up buying new pulleys, and in the process I had to learn about crankshaft spacers.

I had some old onesthatmight haveworked for you, but I ended up giving them all away...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

I ended up getting a kit similar to one of these,,, Iknew that a spacer was needed to work with my ballancer... but I could not find out which one would work, I bought a .350 spacer on what I thought was an educated guess, (add$30.00),but it was the wrong one. I had to make an actual measurement for pulley alignment and bought the below spacer.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908331

My application ended up needing the MCH-1433 .938" spacer,,, add another $65.00 to the $200.00 I didn't want to spend in the first place, but I didn't want to go chasing parts that might or might not fit (work together) either.

That is thebest information thatIhave thatmight help you......

I still have the .350 spacer if anyone needs it....
Old 01-01-2008, 02:05 PM
ky
America ftw

just get a smaller pulley. either on the water pump or the crank. a tab bit more/less water flow aint gonna hurt nothing.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:19 PM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

I did replace the Harmonic Balancer when I replaced the timing chain. It must have had a different spacing. I haven't seen anywhere where it mentions the diameter of the original pulley or a new replacement pulley. But an easy fix would be a shim behind the water pump pulley if all they sell are 6 inch pulleys.

Do they sell these shims?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:46 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dano670

I did replace the Harmonic Balancer when I replaced the timing chain. It must have had a different spacing. I haven't seen anywhere where it mentions the diameter of the original pulley or a new replacement pulley. But an easy fix would be a shim behind the water pump pulley if all they sell are 6 inch pulleys.

Do they sell these shims?
Ok Dano.... did you change either the crankshaft or water pump pulley??

I think that thismight bethe question of the thread.

The harmonic balancer change alone should not have caused the pulleys to get closer together. the vertical alignment of the belt groves should be absolutely perfect.

If at one time or another if someone made these pulleys fit by misaligning them, then there is an issue that should be addressed. I don't think the answer is to misalign the pulleys by shimming the water pump. I would sooner grind the edges of the pulleys to get clearance, but this is not something I would advise. I would not advise this, but I might do so for a temporary fix, (if I was in a realpinch)... Doing so might create some minor imbalance, and possibly some strengthissues.

(your water pump is not going out is it?,,, It is hard to imagine that the pump bearing being so loose that it would allow the pulleys to touch without leaking,,, but..)
Old 01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

The water pump seems fine. The only part I changed was the Harmonic Balancer. The crank and water pump pulley are the ones that were on the car before. The pulley makes less noise now that they are worn down against each other, but that is a temporary fix.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

that is a trip....

The water pump pulley must have been changed from stock, and then set to run slightly out of line for them not to have rubbed before.

I imagine that the harmonic balancer may not have been bottomed on the crank before.