Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

custom autosound rear speaker system

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:29 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default custom autosound rear speaker system

I am getting ready to do my rear package tray and wanted to know if anyone had one of the "custom autosound bass port speaker systems" in their car? Pic is attached. I was thinking about putting in some infinity 3 way speakers and in some 1/4 inch plywood and then covering with some of the black felt material (wonder about how the UV would affect the speaker fabric on the package tray)?

[IMG]local://upfiles/34309/E5518D6250A049C7A90A17705D27790D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: custom autosound rear speaker system

nobody ever heard one of these in person?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I would use that speakerbox carpet, not the felt. I think, but don't quote me on this, that it is UV resistant.

Also, I think the 3-way might be overkill...depends. what are you running?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

The only tunes coming from my car come from the pipes I bought a new package tray and cut the holes in it for 6x9's, then covered it in vinyl to match the seats. Now I like the look without the speakers, so that is how it will stay.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

I bought the custom autosound stereo that looks like the 66 am/fm radio. I plan on plugging my zune into the aux channel to listen to music. I am thinking about putting infinity 2 ways in the front kick panelsand I have a self-powered kenwood subwoofer that I got in Japan in the trunk (never seen these in the states but it definitely puts out more bass than I need). I have to think that some infinities will sound better than the custom autosound bar - but then again it is only the rear speakers anyway

blueoval, I did basic at Fort Sill, we loved Lawton or the 1 day we got there before being shipped out, lets here it for the FATC!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bradleyb

blueoval, I did basic at Fort Sill, we loved Lawton or the 1 day we got there before being shipped out, lets here it for the FATC!
Maybe you loved it cuz you only had to spend 1 day here

I will eventually get around to putting a stereo in. I already have an alpine deck that I am not using, so it will go in. I am not a car audio guru, but I like the Infinity's. I put fosgates in my truck and I cant complain about them at all. Especially for the price.

Either way, my speakers will only go in the kick panels. I really like the clean look to the rear tray. Plus it is less for some schmuck to try to steal
Old 01-02-2008, 04:53 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

yep, we were at Ft. Sill for the summer of 1981 and it was a hot one there - went on bivoac and cooled to rain for 7 days straight - now that sucked

cleaner is always better. I am thinking to just do the package tray myself with some triaxial speakers and call it a day...............
Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Hi guys,
It is hard to hear the sound system when you have a loud exhaust system. Here is what is in my trunk and it is loud and has plenty of bass!! It is an older system but sound very good when the car is not roaring down the road.
[/url]
Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

that will definitely get it done!

I did dynamat the entire inside of my car and put new weatherstripping and felt strips so I am hoping it will be a little quieter inside (trying to appease the wife's complaints for the motor noise).
Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bradleyb

yep, we were at Ft. Sill for the summer of 1981 and it was a hot one there - went on bivoac and cooled to rain for 7 days straight - now that sucked

cleaner is always better. I am thinking to just do the package tray myself with some triaxial speakers and call it a day...............
Much has changed since 81. This aint the greatest place anymore.

For the tray, call a upholstry shop and see what they would charge you to cover it. Cut the speaker holes yourself, they just have them cover the tray. It cost me $30, and it is worth every penny IMO.

Quick Reply: custom autosound rear speaker system