Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I can't decide if I want to buy a 68 or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM
mormonstang

Default I can't decide if I want to buy a 68 or not

So there is a good deal for a 68, but I can't decide if I want to buy it or not. He is going to take out the engine, and basically everything in the engine bay, and the transmission as well. The only problem is that I don't know **** about cars. I really wish I did, because I would love to own a 68. I think if I read the right books, I could get it done though, I just don't know of any good ones out there. So what do you guys think I should do? It's either a 68 or a 04 cobra, I would love to own the 68 though. If any of you guys have any book recommondations, I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
mike2004cobra

Default RE: I can't decide if I want to buy a 68 or not

Well, as I currently own an '04 Cobra, and have been in and driven many a nice classic stang including '68s, I can tell you that these cars are very different beasts. I love classics (I have a '71 Vette too) but the Terminator Cobrasare amazinglyreliable, comfortable,and stupidly fast.If you need a car to run every day, get the 04. You probably will not want to work on the 04 much, the systems are so complex it's just too easy to mess up expensive stuff and most owners let thier tuners work on them.If you want to learn basics like about carbs and other old-school fun, and do it yourself,and have another car for a DD, the '68 might be the way to go. However, I would reccomend getting a running car to start with, you can really spend a lot trying to learn it all at once (like getting a car with no engine or tranny).
Old 01-03-2008, 05:55 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Wait alittle bit till you find another classic for sale...
Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
mormonstang

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Wait alittle bit till you find another classic for sale...
why do you say this, because there is no engine or tranny? Well if I ever bought a classic, I would put a new engine and tranny in it anyway. I would like to have a ported 351w and a 5 speed.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
mormonstang

ORIGINAL: mike2004cobra

Well, as I currently own an '04 Cobra, and have been in and driven many a nice classic stang including '68s, I can tell you that these cars are very different beasts. I love classics (I have a '71 Vette too) but the Terminator Cobrasare amazinglyreliable, comfortable,and stupidly fast.If you need a car to run every day, get the 04. You probably will not want to work on the 04 much, the systems are so complex it's just too easy to mess up expensive stuff and most owners let thier tuners work on them.If you want to learn basics like about carbs and other old-school fun, and do it yourself,and have another car for a DD, the '68 might be the way to go. However, I would reccomend getting a running car to start with, you can really spend a lot trying to learn it all at once (like getting a car with no engine or tranny).
Thanks for the input mike. By the looks of it, I would actually be buying the same color that you have. Mystichrome I'm guessing by the avatar. Anyway, it would not be a daily driver. I just can't choose which one I would rather own, it's a hard choice, because I think both are sweet.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
mormonstang

Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

Hey if it was my choice on a non daily driver, I'd go with the 68. if you can understand it it'll cost alot of money and time to make it look good, then you'd love having it. If you are looking for that weekend cruizer now to go smoke some rice rockets, then the cobra would be the way to go.

old cars aren't that hard to work on, reading some books and asking questions will get you far. it's the new cars with 200lbs of wires and heavy emissions controls, and no engine bays that are hard to work on.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

old cars are not hard to work onat all "new" cars are hard to work on!!!!!! it just takes time and money... lol
Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Id take a classic mustang over a new one anyday.Before you buy it have a older mechainc look it over if you don't know one find a mustang club close to you talk to some of there memebers they will help you out good luck.Best book is a shop manual for the car rest of the books on mustangs are more of the what they came with and production numbers etc etc.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Buying a classic stang has so much more personality and style than any new mustangs, whether it is the "terminator" or w/e. Sure the new ones will be faster and more reliable, but there's just something about a classic that no new car can achieve (well, unless its super fast and awesome haha).

and look at it this way, I'm 17 and got my 69 mustang when I was 15. I didn't know squat about this thing, but when i started working on it with my dad I would learn more and more each day and now I'm not afraid to take anything apart on it, or do anything to it. In fact, in the past two years I've removed the engine had it rebuilt and replaced it, sandblasted and painted the engine bay, and after it was drivable, I tore it apart again to a bare shell and got it painted. Now I'm putting it back together so I can soon drive it again.

so in short, you can learn a lot through those books, these forums, and simply working on it with your own hands. I say go for a classic whether it is this 68 or another.

Quick Reply: I can't decide if I want to buy a 68 or not