Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

single or dual plane intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

Default single or dual plane intake?

which is better? i thought dual... but maybe im wrong...
Old 01-07-2008, 09:43 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: single or dual plane intake?

Each has its strong points and weak points and the correct one to use depends on the application and the goals. Dual plane 'generally' is used for lower RPM use and open plenum 'generally' is considered needed for higher RPM running.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

this is just going to be a street car...
Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Personally I have found both work well on my street car, but I made power at a lower RPM with the dual plane. It really depends on the rest of the combination but again 'generally' people seem happier with dual planes in mildly performance enhanced street cars. I am also obviously speaking very non-commitial intentionally to avoid turning this mild mannered thread into an all out debate/war from 'absolutists' who are fully entrenched in one camp or the other

It really does depend on so many factors both mechanical and mental what is the best choice. Even on the same motor mildly build up motor both will perform well. One might make slightly more HP while the other 'feels' stronger for a because of a difference in peak or how level a torque curve is.....
Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you need a dual sean it will have better manners esp since its your dd isnt it?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

its going to be, yes
Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't put a single plane on a DD unless it were a stroker. Like dodgestang said, there are a lot of factors that effect how the intake will perform. A stroker will move more air more rapidly, making any intake used operate in a lower than advertised range for the engine it's on. In other words, something like a Vic Jr that's designed for 302's in the 3,500-8,000rpm range, on a 347 would be more like 2,750ish-7,200ish. It also depends on where all the other parts can operate at, what kind of mileage you want, throttle response, what your cruise rpm is, how much bottom end you're willing to lose etc.

I prefer dual planes for most street builds. Single planes can work if you know how to make them.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

+1 on the dual. I am building a stout 383 stroker, and I am still going with an Air Gap. They just do better if you arenot going to run north of 6500 all the time. I really thoughtabout using a single plan but could not see how the number would work for me even running a stroker with power adders.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 AM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

+1 for the dual plane. Like urban_cowboy, I am using the Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap manifold. Great for a DD.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i'll tell ya what, just cutting the divider down on my performer RPM robbed me of bottom end grunt. it was a difference that was very easy to benchmark against as nothing else changed.

did it help up top? probably. would i cut it down all over again if the intake was new? probaby not as i could use more low end grunt with the cam i have

Quick Reply: single or dual plane intake?