Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ready to Start Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
MonsterB
2nd Gear Member

Default Ready to Start Assembly

I pick up my 66 tomorrow from paint. i had it painted with the front quaters off so i could get good detail on the inside fenderwell.
Is there some type of gasket or material i should use to go between the fenders and the mounting area?
my paint guy said that using a double sided tape but only sticking it to the body and not the fender will help. Is making this crap up or is there something to it. I see it would protect the new paint while aligning the fenders.
Also, should i paint the rear interior panels the same color as the car? I painted the inside of the front doors the same as the exterior.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ready to Start Assembly

Hopefully, you fitted the fenders before painting. You can use tape to keep from nicking the paint, but I would use the greenmasking tape. If you are talking about inside the fender wells, black is usually the color. You can paint it whatever you want, but you need to spray undercoating in them once you get the fender where you want them. Don't forget to install your splash guards before you put the fenders on. The inside of the front doors, do you mean where the hinges are?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 PM
MonsterB
2nd Gear Member

as far as the doors, no the textures exposed metal part of the doors. On the interior surface.
the fenders came off the car and needed nearly no body work at all. one had a small ding, thats all.
Yes, i did use undercoating. i under coated the entire bottom sureface of the car.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:47 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

You can use the undercoating inside the fender wells where they meet the splash guards behind the headlight buckets and at the cowl. You may know this, but fenders line up to the hood- hood on first.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 AM
MonsterB
2nd Gear Member

so i start with the hood. got it. do i align the hood with the body area in front of the wind shield? i know that the gaps should all be the same. i have seen where guys use a 3/16" piece of plastic to maintain the gaps.

should i shoot the trunk interior with undercoating also?

What about the rear interior panels. is painting them the exterior color going to be too much. should i stick with a stin black as they were originally? i think this is just a matter of personal preferance i just want to do as much as i can correctly from the start.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:22 AM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

Start at the hood at the windshield area,do not forget the splash guards!As far as the interior I think thats a matter of opinion.What matters most is if YOU like the way it looks!![sm=signs003.gif]
Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 AM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Make sure when you mount the hood, as you close it, you watch for clearance of the front of the cowl. It you have the hood too close, ooops-sh######! The plastic will nick the paint to ifyou close it to fast. Hinge adjustment is just opposite of what you would think, down is up, up is down. Some people spray undercoating on either side of trunk on inside of quarters and then paint to match. If you paint over, make sure the undercoating you use is paintable. 3M is good butthey say not to paint over it. Interior paint is not a high gloss paint. Light coats are better than trying to cover in one. They make a vinyl trunk liner for the floor.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

The main thing is- "DON'T GET IN A HURRY" !
Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

I use 3M blue masking tape on all the edges when I am aligning body panels. Make sure you have help when doing the hood.

Send some pics when you get it back and after you get the fenders back on and aligned.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:29 PM
MonsterB
2nd Gear Member

picked up some parts today. the main body had a few areas that needed to be re-visited. the rain gutters for lack of a better tem were in bad shape. when i sand blasted it the factory sealant came out. the body guy re-did the chaulking but did a **** poor job. other than that the finish looks killer.
it is 2005 ford pearl blue. wow what a color.
i am making a list to purchsae varius parts. i was planning on mnt laurel mustang for the parts but if there is a better place that supports the forum PLEASE SOMEONE LET ME KNOW.
i need interior, rubber, door handels and a little trim.

also i have decided on the HELO 825b (18x9.5 rear and 17x8.5 in the front)for my wheels. i have gotten a price for $1100 out the door from discount tire co. if anyone know a better place with the same price or less let me know. wheels with 40 seriers tires.

Quick Reply: Ready to Start Assembly