Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cost of Rebuilding Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:13 AM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

Default Cost of Rebuilding Engine?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had a rough estimate as to how much it would cost to rebuild a 6-cylinder engine for a '66 Mustang. I want to have it rebuilt and suped up a little.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 AM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cost of Rebuilding Engine?

Are you going to do it yourself?If not and you are capable of pulling the motor and taking it to the shop then reinstalling it yourself you can save a bundle.Alot depends on what all needs done and what you are going to mod!![8D]
Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangmatt63

Are you going to do it yourself?If not and you are capable of pulling the motor and taking it to the shop then reinstalling it yourself you can save a bundle.Alot depends on what all needs done and what you are going to mod!![8D]
+1, what kind of mods are you going to put on there? It all depends on how much you can do yourself, and how much the parts will cost ya.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I just went thru the process of deciding whether to rebuild or build new. Machine costs are going to be about $1500-2000 to break down, clean, magnaflux, sonic test, bore, hone, and deck the block. You will then need to buy new pistons, rings, rods, and maybe a new crank and assemble the new engine. That I cannot help you with because the prices vary a great deal. I could not tell you where to start looking for a new rotating assembly for a six, but good luck! Assembly from most shops is about $1000. That does not include parts, balancing, or installation into the car. There is a good shop in Abilene, Texas call Eddies Machine Shop that has on line pricing. You can use it to get a ball park for budgeting. The website is http://www.edsmachine.com/. Without new heads, or really anything other than a refresh of the pistons, cam, rods, and crank, you are looking at about $5k-6k. Have fun. I have enjoyed the building and shoping process.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: urban_cowboy

I just went thru the process of deciding whether to rebuild or build new. Machine costs are going to be about $1500-2000 to break down, clean, magnaflux, sonic test, bore, hone, and deck the block. You will then need to buy new pistons, rings, rods, and maybe a new crank and assemble the new engine. That I cannot help you with because the prices vary a great deal. I could not tell you where to start looking for a new rotating assembly for a six, but good luck! Assembly from most shops is about $1000. That does not include parts, balancing, or installation into the car. There is a good shop in Abilene, Texas call Eddies Machine Shop that has on line pricing. You can use it to get a ball park for budgeting. The website is http://www.edsmachine.com/. Without new heads, or really anything other than a refresh of the pistons, cam, rods, and crank, you are looking at about $5k-6k. Have fun. I have enjoyed the building and shoping process.
Whoa slow down! lol. You might find an engine in good shape out in the junkyards and all you need to do is put a $50 gasket replace. (Doubt it, but my point is you never know). First, go to www.classicinlines.com for parts. Second, go to www.fordsix.com for help on what you should buy, what you need, etc. You need to have a strategy - you mentioned earlier you wanted to have it rebuilt and suped up. If you're really interested and want the new Aluminum head from Mike (at classicinlines) then you're looking about $1500 for it; but IMO, it is totally worth it. You CAN'T buy that kind of bolt on power for these 6's anywhere else.

In addition, you could do a 2bbl swap, an easy and cheap bolt on, good for quite a bit of hp. You could add Duraspark II electronic ignition (or Pertronix). If you don't want the Aluminum head, I highly recommend getting a head out of a later model 6 (like mid-late 70s). It has a larger carb hole, bigger valves, and breathes better.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

looking at that aluminum heads makes me wanna build a 250 and slap that on there with a holley 570 and a decent cam[8D]

btw rebuilding your motor (if using your head, crank, block, and rods) will not cost 5-6k, if you assemble it will cost you 1500 or less including machine work and parts.

*edit* the entire rebuild kit (federal mogul pistons, moly rings, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, oil pump, cam, lifters, timing set, freeze plugs, and fel-pro gaskets) is $400.85 with shipping from NorthernAutoParts.com

machine work on a 6 is cheaper than a V8 because they charge you per hole bored, per rod reconditioned, and a valve job on a single I6 head is usually 40.00-50.00 cheaper than a V8 or even a V6 set.

taking all this into account, you could probably build the entire motor for 1000-1200 bucks
Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Not to mention that the new Aluminum head includes the possiblity of fuel injection and/or nitrous.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I would guess a stock rebuild would cost you about $1,300.00+ or - for a six.Shop around get prices from machine shops / rebuilders.

Costs will rise as you add performance parts.

Build your engine back stock, get it running, and then go with the bolt ons as you get the time and money.

IMO the stock short block of the 6 is pretty stout so this will allow you to get it running kind of cheap and add the power adders with the rebuilt engine in the car.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

i have a rebuilt 200ci with zero miles on it i would be willing to sell you. message or email me if you are interested
Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
66FastbackGT_T5

Hi!

I have let rebuild a Inline 6 at AHM Performance in RosedaleBbaltimore.

It has cost 1900 with bore, hone, balancing, a lot of head-work and one crack repair in the head incl. Parts.

The problem was:I needet to wait 4 MOnth. I have also a 408 there from a Friend ( he is not a friend anymore) where they take the money and do nothing for 13 Month (the money is still away, he has taken it for other parts for shure)

The work they have done is exellent (The inline6 runs like a clockwork) but dont give them one cent (or do it as a deposit on a bank that he see you have the money) before you get your engine

Quick Reply: Cost of Rebuilding Engine?