Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ron francis electric fan sensor install

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 AM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ron francis electric fan sensor install

Think about it. It must assist the radiator to draw air. It only needs to come on when the air blowing through the radiator alone can't meet the cooling needs (i.e. at a stoplight).

If you got the temp signal from the block - the radiator may already have enough airflow to cool (left the stoplight) but the block would still give a 'run' signal to the fan.

You use a location near the top of the radiator (hottest place) to get the best radiator temp signal.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ron francis electric fan sensor install

As a concept, the sensor in the head does make some sense in that the thing we are trying to protect is the enginebut if you don't have it, you don't have it..... can't believe the chevy guys have this and we don't (that's ok, they still need to figure out where toput the dizzy).

Since I have a reverse flow water pump on the serpentine, I am going to put the probe through the radiator at the bottom above the intake and then use the manual adjust dial that came with the 2500 cfm Flexalite psyclone. So technically,the actuator is linked to thecoolant temp/engine temp reading that I will use to have the fan turn on - so this means the fan will turn on based on engine temp, wonder how the wind going through the radiator affects the reading on the probe?

I talked to Ron Francis yesterday and he said the effect of putting the sensor in the coolant runner would be to have the fan turn on about 5 degrees hotter than advertised - I am thinking to just use the manual one that came with the aluminum radiator kit from Jegs.