Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rear end confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:54 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear end confusion

I think I found a pretty good deal on a rear end, but I'm a little confused. it's $50 for the bare housing, and $50 for the center section.

So how much am I really looking at? I guess I would be missing the axles, since they weren't listed. I don't know if they're 28-spline or 31, but how much do those generally run? Also, all of the other little peices associated with it (brakes, etc), how much should all that add up to? Can I find a better deal?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear end confusion

is it an 8" or a 9"?? Is it original for your application, or did it come from another model?? Are you wanting a limited slip differential or open? Is it the gear set you want? Is this for a cruse car, a full on drag car or somthing in between??? What were your long term plans for the brakes dum or disc?? The more info I can get the easier it is to share my advise on what you should do and answer your questions
Old 01-09-2008, 05:38 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Oh hope it is a nine inch time for 411 s in the rear!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

lol, so many questions.

Nope, sorry 66JamesStang, no 9" with 4.11s

It's an 8" rear, with 3.50 gears. Right now I have the little 7.25" (or 7.5"?) rear end with 3.2 gears. It shouldn't be too different than the current setup, but a little stronger, and it has 5 lugs It's for my daily driver

Don't care if it has disks or drums, just want brakes
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

IF the differential is in good shape than with 3.50:1 gears it is a steal As far as the housing IF it comes with the axles it is a good price. Up to about $75.00 is a good price for a housing with axles and $100 for one with brakes Both of those prices being high end. IF it does not come with axles or brakes than $50.00 is a little high and if that is the case I would offer him $75.00 for the pare. IF it does not have rear brakes AND you have front discs I would upgrade the rear to the discs Ultrastang sells you can get in to them for around $400 for everything and it will be easier to source parts. You didn't say what year the housing is, but IF it is a 64.5-66 and IF it does not come with any axles I have a set I will sell you for cheep, I may even have the brake parts. I hope all this helps.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Oh yea, it's for a 66 - I might be interested in the axles and brakes if you have them. I didn't know about the rear discs by Ultrastang, thanks, I'll look it up.

I might try to offer him $75 and see what he says.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

I am in the process of cleaning up my 8" rear complete houseing, axles, center section, with brakes to put on ebay. the only draw back is the center section needs to be rebuilt at the very least the inner pinion bearing is bad. sent me a pm if your interested. I'm still tring to come up with a price so make an offer
Old 01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

where are you at? It would all depend on shipping, probably
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

North Carolina we ship complete engines to texas for less than $200 if that helps for shipping. But since I have it torn apart right now it may be able to go ups in mulitple boxes.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:44 PM
JamesW

Keep lookin' Stephen. Complete rear assemblies with good 3rd member, axles and brakes turn up on Craigslist from time to time. I sold a complete assembly a couple ofyears ago...they were going in the $150-200 range for a basic 8" with a 2.80 open rear.

Quick Reply: Rear end confusion