Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Splashguard replacement on a 65

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default Splashguard replacement on a 65

1965 coupe. Can I replace the spash guards without removing the fenders? I bought new splash guards for under the front fenders...both the front and rear guards. The rear guard on the right side does have a 3 or 4 inch long by 1 inch high rust holenear the top. The front guard on the left side has similar size hole. The other two guards look good but I bought all four for replacement. I also am planning to replace the coil spring covers. One is rusted through at the bottom. The other looks OK but I figured...what the Hell. Might as well do all the guards and both covers. I do have the front valance off right now and the front bumper and the filler piece behind the bumper are also off, I think it's called the upper stone guard. I have never pulled a fender off before and do not want to get in over my head. I have two of everything in the photo and the mounting screws.

[IMG]local://upfiles/82474/A8AC73827D644E4EB2F5A353ABC8EDC4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/82474/13CF83E5F45C4E35B474EFD8CFB1DF15.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Splashguard replacement on a 65

Considering the order of assembly puts installing the splash gaurds after installing the fender....I would think you shouldn't have a problem installing the splash shield with the fender on.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:39 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

you must take off the fenders, i just did this,..trust me
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

jamie, how hard is it to get the fenders off WITHOUT damaging paint???
Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

mask all edges off to prevent damaging, if your careful there will be no damage.

you did get the new rubbers for the splash sheilds didnt you honeygold??
Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Damaging paint doesn't bother me. This winter is getting the car ready for paint in the spring. I was mainly concerned with how hard it is to get the fenders off and back on right. Rubbers for the splashguards? Didn't see anything like that. They just looked like metal to me and that's what I got. I have seen flexible guards on later models. Are you talking about rubber versions of the metal or some kind of rubber grommet or flange with the metal parts? If it is a rubber replacement, I am going theoriginal route on this car. It was all original and I want to use original (repro if necessary parts). I just shelled out $45 each for two NOS front turn signals instead of the $20 each for repros. Of course those are readily visible and splash guards are not.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jamieNerikas66stang

you must take off the fenders, i just did this,..trust me
Unless 66 is different than 65 You do not need to take the fenders off to install the splash shields. It takes 10 freaking minutes and that includes the take to jack the car up and take of the wheel to make more working space.

They are held in with 4 screws....3 that are in the wheel well and one that is installed from under the hood. The rubber part of the splash shield is what contacts the fender and the piece slides in and out with relative ease.

I just installed my splash shields after I took them out 5 years ago to install torque boxes....since then I completely totaled the mustang, rebuild it, installed 2 new fenders and basically the front end pieces as well and even after all that the splash shields installed very easily with no hassle
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...319&page=1
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: honeygoldcoupe

Damaging paint doesn't bother me. This winter is getting the car ready for paint in the spring. I was mainly concerned with how hard it is to get the fenders off and back on right. Rubbers for the splashguards? Didn't see anything like that. They just looked like metal to me and that's what I got. I have seen flexible guards on later models. Are you talking about rubber versions of the metal or some kind of rubber grommet or flange with the metal parts? If it is a rubber replacement, I am going theoriginal route on this car. It was all original and I want to use original (repro if necessary parts). I just shelled out $45 each for two NOS front turn signals instead of the $20 each for repros. Of course those are readily visible and splash guards are not.
The splash shields have two parts to them. The metal shield and the replacable rubber piece.
Here is a photo of the parts with the rubber installed (and yeah I know its the wrong year...but you get the idea)

Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

i took mine completely off i was going to replace them but i decided not to since well, i don't really need them i'm guessing?

Quick Reply: Splashguard replacement on a 65