Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what should i have done

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
dlynch
2nd Gear Member

Default what should i have done

The guy i bought my 70 coupe from said the inline6 it has was rebuilt but he also said that the car had hardly anybody work (that had to have been a joke.) for now im keeping the engine and 3 speed tranny what can i have done to test to see if its in good running order and is relyable.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 PM
jc92073
1st Gear Member

Default RE: what should i have done

I think I would pull all the spark plugs out and see how they look, good way to tell if it is burning oil. Check cmpression on every cyl and check the engine with a vacuum gauge. A good engine should pull near 20" at idle.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:06 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

you could have taken it to a mechanic and have them run full dianostic on it compress test, leak down test, and so on also while they had it on a lift you could have gotten a good look at the underside of the car.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:01 AM
dlynch
2nd Gear Member

well i work in a restoration shop, not sure if we could do it there but i would defently take it to a shop and have them do it. what about the transmition and rear end? what could i do about checking them.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It is unfortunate that sometimes we are more or less required to trust the word of people who sometimes do not deserve this trust...

If looking to buy something, I try to get a general "feel" for their overall trust-worthiness, It often helps to play dumb for a while to see how far they try to "stretch the envelope" to a point where their deception is obvious...

Once mistrust is established, I need to make sure I keep my *** covered.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Take the car to a shop and have them look it over for mechanical condition. An experienced mechanic will look at the suspension, brakes tires, oil leaks, engine compression and leakdown, trans fluid condition, rear end oil condition. You can check engine and trans mounts for breakage. u joints, etc.. without an actual tear down, it's really a guestimate for any condition estimates.
good luck