Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Grab-a-Trak? Whats best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

Default Grab-a-Trak? Whats best?

Hey guys ive decided to do my suspension here soon but not the coil over like i originally was planning. so my question is what are most people using to rebuild their whole suspension.i was thinking about going with grab-a-trak but i dont know what kit to go with. i want an overall street performance suspension and for it to feel close to driving a new mustang. but i would like to have it set up for light to light and occasionally going out to the dragstrip and racing it without any worrys. I dont trust my 40 yr old suspension rightnow and i want to go all out on the new system. i want to drop the car a good 1 1/2 to2" from stock front and rearand set it up with subframe connectors, weld in traction bars, front and rear sway bars, monte carlo and export brace and all new shocks springs. basicaly the whole 9 yards. but i dont know whats best? 620 springs? mid-eye, reverse leafs? should i go with kyb gas-a-just shocks insted of grab-a-track?
gimme your idears please.
maybe daze can help? any help would be really appreciated.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Grab-a-Trak? Whats best?

any suggestions. whats going to handle best? i have nothing power on my car so it might be hard if its too stiff to steer
Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

theres another post currently running with suspension suggestions in it

as far as I can tell, the grabatrack and likes are all pretty good kits. the car will be improved, but i doubt it will come anywhere near the standard of a new mustang.

"the whole 9 yards" as you describe it will result in a very stiff suspension setup that will only handle really well if your local roads are perfect or you do a lot of open track. it will be very uncomfortable to ride in and probably handle worse on rough roads.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:16 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

the opentracker racing susp. (opentrackerracing.com) has tempted me, thats what i am going to buy
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

For the back, go with the GAT 5 leafs if you are concerned about performance, traction, etc.

We used these on the 66 and they work great, no axle "wrap up", no hopping etc, and I think the ride is good, better than my truck at the very least.

The major mod we made to the front was in steering not suspension. Other than stiffer coils and poly bushings the front is stock except for the rack and pinion steering. I am very happy with how the car handles and drives.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

ok cool. yeah i was thinking about doing a full suspension restoration and maybe a simple rebuild of the steering also but maybe in about a year ill do the rack and pinnon power steering when i do my power disc brake conversion.

question tho, what leaf would you go with from the grabatrack? I was thinking the 5 leaf reverse eye so it lowers it in the back.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

im using all stock front parts (exc. for the 1in sway bar) and im toying with the idea of some GAT 5 leafs

just depends on what my funds are lookin like on down the road

Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I was also considering coil-over at first, but decided to go with the standard style aswell. Mine wasnt brand name, it was a kit from laurelmountainmustang.com I dunno if I would personally suggest them to you, I had some problems with a few things.

But I got kyb shocks, mid-eye 5leafs, 620 1"drop springs, front and back sways...and ended up getting roller spring saddles...

If I could do it over again, I'd shell out the extra dough and get a full kit from www.opentrackerracingproducts.com
Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

yeah it seems their no cheaper than going coil over tho. 600 just for the shocks. [:-]
Old 01-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

whats on the car now?

just judging from your sig pic, the 5 leaf reverse may lift the rear from its current position...looks a little down in the sig???

Quick Reply: Grab-a-Trak? Whats best?