Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cost of Paint Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 PM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cost of Paint Jobs

Yeah, do it yourself. www dot paitucation dot com
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

When looking for a paint job there are few things you must keep in mind. The cost of the materials is outragous. If they are quoting you a cheap price they must be using cheap materials. The primer I used on my car was $65 a quart. You are paying for more than a paint job. What you are paying for is the experience that the shop has and the ability to do it right. I would shy away from any shop that will shoot a car if you so the prep work. That will usually mean they are not that picky about how the final product comes out. How can they stand behind thier work if they don't prep it? The biggest thing is to get recommendations from people you know or check with your local Mustang club. Looks at their work and see if you like it and how much the job cost. There area lot of shops doing body and paint but not that many doing it right. Body and paint is an art and some people got and some don't. Shop around, ask around and be carful but if your trying to go cheap that is what you are going to get, CHEAP!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

I will get back with you guys tomorrow on this issue. I cannot see spending more then $2500 on a paint job when they do this for a living and they will make over $1500 for 4-5 days worth of work. That does include labor because paint and primer doe not cost $1000. I will get to the numbers tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Sounds to me like you need to go talk to Earl. Trust me, you get what you pay for especially when it comes to body and paint.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 AM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

i know a place you would like then....its called maaco, $199.99 for a paint job...
somehow i doubt that would last long..
Old 01-18-2008, 09:00 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

When I restored my '75 Bronco, I found a guy just starting out. I gave him only the body (frame at home to work on) and the truck had been rolled with the driver side pushed in and the windshield frame crushed. I provided a new windshield frame, but they did the rest. Price was $1000.00 and it turned out fantastic, I saw it a couple of years ago and it still looked great. This was in '93 so I know prices have gone up.

Point is, low price doesn't have to equal CHEAP work.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Most body shops have there own paint mixing systems. They are not paying $65 a quart for anything.It's like anything, you can spend as much as you want, but that doesn't make it better. That is why most of them won't let you supply the paint or do the prep work.I don't blame them for that, because that is how they make money and warranty is an issue. However, I was in a unique situation and I knew how to do the prep. I am not advocating buying a booth to paint one car, but if you are going to do more than one, it might be worth it. It is amazing how many new friends you will have with a paint booth. There are some colors that require a higher degree of expertise, like metal flake. But it's still not rocket science!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

A am taking my car to the body shop next month to smooth out all the car and shoot it. I am having them use House of Kolor paint so it may be a little more because of that. It is going to cost me $6000 and I have already done the metal work. Just need final touches, priming, blocking, repeat, repeat and then color and clear. I told him I want it straight with no exceptions. I think Iwill be getting a good deal.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

If you take it to Mexio, you might not get it back. No offense to anyone.

Well only if they are offended that you misspelled Mexico but I am actually flattered that someone here thinks my ride is worth stealing. Not much respect for the 71-73 and especially a grande coupe. On the other hand when I get done with it will be the sleeper I always dreamed of building. Right next to my 54 ford truck and my soon to own 2010 Camaro SS. 3 vehicles I will never get rid of unless I do decide to get a 69 or 70 mustang.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

If you want, I will paint your car for $1500. WhenI get done with it, it will look like you have a $1500 paint job.

You have a choice to make. Do you want a cheap paint job that you will have to get redone in a few years becuase your car looks like doo-doo, or do you want to pay a little extra for a quality paint job that will last a lot longer.

Ball is in your court.

Quick Reply: Cost of Paint Jobs