Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Air Gap Intake 351W Hood Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:10 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default Air Gap Intake 351W Hood Clearance

I currently have a 351C, but am swapping it out with a Dart 383W in my 69 Mach 1. I want to run an Air Gap intake with a Holley 4150 carb with choke. I am worried about hood clearance and cannot compare with the 351C because I think the blocks are different heights. Can anyone tell me one way or the other if this will fit? I know it will be close. Also, what air cleaners are out there that are low profile and work with a choke?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Air Gap Intake 351W Hood Clearance

should fit...i dont think they sit up as high as the Victor Jr.

K&N air filter with the filter top and a drop base should clear the choke etc too

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It fit on our 66 with351W,, but barely... no room for a spacer, and very lo-pro air cleaner... Considering the bigger engine compartment on your year car I say it fits even with the C.. I think a C is only about 1/2" taller than a W.

If it were me I would buy it and take the chance!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I have seen those air cleaners, but I am worried about open top cleaners. I have a functional hood scoop on the Mach 1 (not the shaker hood). Water can easily come in and onto the open top cleaner.

So the Clev is actually taller than the Windsor? I thought they were wider and shorter than the Windsors. I did some test on the current torker and I have room for a 1 inch spacer on the Clev. The Air Gap shows to be only .4" taller than the Clev Torker, so if the blocks are the same height I think I will be OK. If the Windsor is taller, then I may be in trouble. I have the Air Gap in the garage, but got to worrying about the clearance and decided to ask the experts . Install date is in Feb, so I still have time to return it and get a RPM coming, but would rather have the Air Gap for obvious reasons.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The air cleaner in the photo is not an open top,,,, its a decal.. It does look like one of those open top cleaners in the picture though!

I was playing it from memory, but I was pretty sure the Cs hava a deck height about a 1/2 taller than a 351W..

I will look this up when I get home though.

The Air Gap was not suposed to fit the W in the 66, but when it came down to it I said what the hell, if it dosent fit we will add a scoop!

Well it fit,,,, knock on wood, so far the whole build has gone this way... Almost everything has gone as smooth as silk... Go figure!

It must be a Blessed project...
Old 01-17-2008, 05:59 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I know this just from the engine build, but the Clevs have a deck height of 9.2 and the Windsor is a 9.5. Now, I do not know if the angle of the block is different, which will affect the over all height.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:00 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I think my current Holley air cleaner is a 14x3" with a 1.something drop. I am not sure there is a lower profile cleaner that will fit a carb with choke tower???
Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Both engines have the cylinders set at 90 degrees. I think a choke tower would have fit in the air cleaner..

I can give it a try on an edelbrock I have on the bench when I get home.

When I first posted I mis read your post, I thought we were talking about an Air Gap for a Cleveland, Knowing now that we are talking about a W engine, I know with 99.9% assurance that the Air Gap on a W motor will fit in your car, under the hood. Might not be room for a spacer, but it will fit, providing that your hood scoop does not take up under hood space.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:57 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

The scoop take up no room under hood. Yeh, I know the post was a little confusing. I currently have a Cleveland with a torker and am going to install a Dart Windsor with hopefully an Air Gap. Kinda comparing apples to oranges, but was trying to get a best guess by comparing the 351C torker to the 351W Air Gap. I knew you have been successful, but was unsure what all you had to do. My only issue with a low pro air cleaner is if it will clear the choke tower. Is your low profile filter a 2"? Is it flat on the bottom or does it drop below the carb lip like most 14x3" filters?