Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Things your PO's have done...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Things your PO's have done...

I dont have a bad PO story for my mustang but when i was looking for my first car i was searching through a used car lot and saw a truck i liked. I lookedall over it for things that could be wrong and then i got to the under-body and saw that both floor pans were obviously rusted out because i saw two realtor signs staring right at me wheni looked under there. Nice fix
Old 01-19-2008, 08:12 AM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I'm a Realtor and I have old signs if anyone needs some sheetmetal!![8D]

The worst thing the PO did to ours was trying to patch body parts using a stick welder. I didn't really mind since we were going to restore the car and we knew we would re-do those things.

Worse than the PO was the dealer that we bought it from. The Dealer spray painted over all of the rust andcompletely glued down the rugs (that was a pain to rip out). His objective was obviously to make the car out to be better than it actually was. When I pointed out the badly patched sheetmetal. His response was, "A good body guy can beat that in and Bondo over it!".[:-]
Old 01-19-2008, 10:35 AM
1967inline6MUSTANG
1st Gear Member

when i lived in hawaii i saw a rust hole patched with masking tape and bondo...

Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 AM
dnswwood
2nd Gear Member

We rented a car in the caribean one time that had all the rust holes taped over with bumper stickers.there were more stickers on the car than there was metal lol
Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

I had a 67 that some moron at one time repaired the holes in the front Pass floor with about 20 license plates and 2 gallons of Bondo,not to mention the 100 screws holding it all in place with a piece of angle iron held to what was left of the frame rail with coathangers!![:@]
Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 AM
66FB06GT
1st Gear Member

Wow. I thought my PO was a real dip, but you guys have me way beat. My PO just did dumb things like put a huge air cleaner on the car and slamming the hood before checking the clearance (so much for a nice paint job). Then he put some chrome springs (not the right tension) on the hood hinges. The springs were so strong that they bent the hinges in toward the engine, the back of the hood came up (looked like a 1" cowl hood), and there were fractures on the top of the hood just above where the hinges mounted.

There were plenty of other really bad problems w/ the car... car wouldn't brake b/c brakes were not blead; severe overheating after 10 mins of driving due to blocked radiator; etc. Luckily he only had the car like 12 months, because he didn't seem to know much about it and even less about how to take care of it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

baddog671: he rubber boot is torn on the backside of the booster around the rod, is that ok?
I believe this rubber thingy is just for shielding engine noise and water

Arcticspook: very nice car, so don't sell. looks like a nice 67 I'll want as soon as I win the lottery

pushrodpower: i believe this "Mine installed a tach and radio but never bothered to hook either of them up."
is the answer to your question: "the wiring harness was completely butchered for no fathomable reason"
I'd say he tried .... :-)

Some of the work in my car seems to have ben done professionally while others seem a bit questionable. Seems it's still true that people who know their electrics should not be allowed doing body work and vice versa ...
At least this applies to me

Kalli

Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

This could be a really long list...but I'll highlight the fun stuff. He disassembled the entire interior and stuffed it with fiberglass insulation,(the kind in your attic)...he lived in Alaska, so I can understand a little... although all it did was hold moisture and rust EVERYTHING! He also recovered the seats and door panels with diamond pleated black velvet....I could get into the wiring issues...but that could go on forever...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

hahaha.

Headlines in your local car club newsletter..."PO turns perfectly good car into POS"

my guy was another genius...I wonder if some of them go to the same PO school to learn how to screw a car up like this.

PO faked up the door tag to match the vin, but not the rest of the car's options and the vin was for a 66 i6 coupe.
spray painted the hoodlining from cream to black
Installed the wrong headers, so bent the clutch levers to go round it. I got 20 miles down the road before i had no clutch.
Sandblasted the car with the carpet still on the floor...10 years later I am still pulling grit out of the thing every time I vaccuum.
Put a 780DP on a 289 and wondered why it ran like crap.
And the wiring behind the dash...I think his 4 year old kid played Twister with it and then got a blind guy to reinstall it.

I'm not game to look for the beer cans, stop signs, licence plates and bondo that surely exist under the paint. I just dont drive it in the rain ever.