Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rotten Door Jams!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

Default Rotten Door Jams!

I'm still working on my '69 Fastback. It was supposed to be as easy (hrumph) as replacing the floor pan. I couldnot get to any solid metal so I have pushed back with new metal looking for something solid to start welding to. Holy *&^% this thing is rotten.
I have boxes of new parts piled up all over. Enough to near start from scratch and build a new Dynacorn body! I am just about to remove the drivers rocker panel. I have the new one standing by ready to go. But.... the metal directly connected to the rocker is all rotten. There is a hole at the bottom of thedoor jam at the backand the metal is soft about 3 inches up. I suspect the front is just as bad.
Of course nobody is going to sell door jam replacements.

The car is getting full new quarters later, but I'd like to locate some metal off a wreck that I can weld into place here. I could fabricate these, but it would never look right.

Anybody got a wrecked 69 with a good driver side door jam? I'm looking for the front piece that you see, and the back frame work piece that goes in behind. The passenger side is perfect, but the drivers side rocker was patched with a dissimilar metal causing massive corrosion.

Greg
Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rotten Door Jams!

I saw a thread on this forum a while back where someone had repaired the jambs,,,, the post was made at least 6 months ago, but maybe more like almost a year... I think that they fabed up some repair panels out of raw stock, his repairs looked really nice in the photos.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

There is a yard near me (2 hour drive) I can check with. I just had a heart attack last week so my wife won't let me out in a junk yard yet but I know they have a lot of parted out 60's Mustangs. I'll see what I can find out for ya.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

First price quote off eBay is $125 plus S&H. Owch!!

Fabbed you say?????

Looking for anyone with a stripped wreck and a cutting wheel.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I fabbed mine. I had a simliar issue, after getting my car blasted, it revealed some nasty rust at the driver's side door jam. Knowing I would have a difficult time trying to locate a donor, or speding more time than I wanted to looking for one, I made me own. It wasn't that bad, I took some stock metal, formed it to the existing area before removing the old, trimed it up and welded in the new. A little grinding and body filler, it looked good as new. I was surprised.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Was that your thread aseveral months back about doing this?

I checked out your photo album looking for a farmilliar picture, I didn't see the exact picture as I remember it. I did see a lot of really nice work though!

That is going to be a killer car when it is done. Damn nice work! I am impressed, maybe even a little envious! Damnit.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I stopped by this guys shop yesterday. He was nice and has a vast supply of mustang parts. Give him a call and see if he can help you. I think his name was Carl.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/549254982.html

Darreld
Old 01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Thanks and don't be envious. There is alot of work still to do and I don't know when it will be done. That thread awhile back wasn't mine, but I'm sure you can do the work if your patient and think each step through. It's pretty basic really. Plus it is fun knowing that can be done by yourself if need be.