Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Started ripping out interior....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

Default Started ripping out interior....

So, I have spent the winter trying to upgrade the interior... it need a full gut and re-do. Last thing I'm doing is new carpet. Need a little advice though on what to do with floor. Floorpans better than I expected.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/IMG_0532.jpg

another view:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/IMG_0531.jpg

Overall, pretty clean. What should I be topping this with? Eastwood Rust encapsulatior? Por15? Regular old Rustoleum? I want to make sure this stays clean. Another thing... Whoever put the new floorpans in never put in seam sealer. Does this go in before or after the rust treatment?

I plan to paint the pans, then put some sound deadener in. There seems to be some original padding or something behind the pedals, up to the heater box. Shown here:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/IMG_0527.jpg

I assume this is just tp reduce heat....is that right? Can I use Dynamat or something similar instead? Not really sure of the purpose of this pad.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Started ripping out interior....

I don't even see rust, but you can definitely use POR 15 if you feel the need, won't hurt at all. But no matter what you do I would definitely use some kind of rust protectant primer and paint the floors. And if you decide to sound deaden the floor, you'll have even more protection because it has an aluminum face on it.

But definitely take out the rest of the carpet because the rear pans rust too...
Old 01-27-2008, 09:49 PM
ky
America ftw

wow not bad. not bad at all. i didnt see any rust.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I would just use POR 15. Don't use seem sealand let the POR 15 penetrate into the cracks and seal. Follow the instructions, a quart should be more than enough. You may also look at the cowl vents while you are into it. At the least I would also treat the hats as best you can by bending a U in a ball brush (like in PVC glue and cleaners) and hitting the unseen inside seem.May save you some trouble down the road.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:05 AM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, the PO restored the car about 15 years ago and it mostly needs to be freshened up. I was a little worried that the floor pans were gonna have problems, but pretty good sp far. I will be ripping up the rear carpet tonight. Hard to tell, but there is a little surface rust, especially behind the pedals. Speaking of which, the pad behing the pedals-- is that just a heat shield? can I just replace that with Dynamat or something similar?

Luckily its been warm enough in NJ to work in the garage a bit.... I was getting premature arthritis in my hands from recovering the seats.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 AM
66 Restomod
1st Gear Member

That pad is what's left of the firewall insulation.I removed mine, filled all the attachment plug holes, and used a brush-on sound deadener. A stick-on deadener will work fine too. IMO, those pads are almost always original and contribute to the "old car smell" we notice in cars like these...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I don't think mine has ever been out. I started to pull it gently and the thing disintegrated. Hoping that the new carpet will hide enough the firewall that I can put in a real good heat insulator
Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

one thing i wished i done, and will do if i ever have the carpet out again is a nice layer of sound deadener. (not the material stuff but the kind with the chrome backing? maybe someone can put a brand in here)
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
fordification
1st Gear Member

dynamat.

What ever you do don't mix the seam sealer and zinc rust protector. They react to each other and create bubbling. I found out the hard way and have to redo my door seams.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:29 PM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

Looks like the floors have been replaced in the past. From what I can tell in the pics is that the rust may just be from rust stained water leaking from the cowl. Rusty floors are usually due to a leaky cowl. Pour a bucket of water in the cowl vents and check for leaks. If you do have leaks then get a cowl cover at minimum or open the cowl up and fix the holes (major pain).

Overall though it looks pretty good!

Quick Reply: Started ripping out interior....