Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I changed my mind about the EFI...BIGS 750

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 AM
kevinmach1
1st Gear Member

Default I changed my mind about the EFI...BIGS 750

I was seriously looking at the Retrtekspeed BOSSEFI setup for my 69 Mach1, and I almost ordered one. But after a long period of research, and the fact that this car gets driven maybe 1500 miles a summer, and it costs almost 2500 bucks, I decided to go a different route.
I have talked to this builder in the past, and I decided to go with one of his products.
Let me know what you think, this will replace the carter 750 I am running currently.
Here is the link to what I bought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200194555547

This BIGS 750 STAGE 5 Features: [ul][*]Heavily Reworked Body With Extensively Contoured, Balanced and Enlarged Venturis for Maximum Velocity[*]Dominator Fuel Bowls[*]High Performance Non-Stick Gaskets For Fast and Easy Bowl Removal[*]Ultra-High Performance Race Floats (Nitrophyl Pimary/Notched Secondary) For the Ultimate in Fuel Control[*]Secondary Jet Extensions with Notched Float for Uninterupted Power[*]Ultra-High Flow Performance Power Valves[*]Ultra High Flow Needle and Seats[*]Anti-Blowout Protection Installed In Base[*]Screw in Air Bleeds for Extreme Tuning Ability[*]Heavily Reworked HP Metering Blocks Featuring 3 Stage Emulsion[*]Super High Flow Down Leg WINSTON CUP Boosters for Awesome Air Flow with minimal Disruption[*]Adjustable Secondary Idle Air Bracket Assembly[*]Precision Machine Milled/Slabbed Throttle Shafts[*]Welded Throttle Shaft for Improved Strength and Durability[*]Ultra-Low Profile Button Head Throttle Plate Screws[*]Completely Assembled and Inspected By BIGS[*]BIGS Exclusive "Platni-Blast" Color (Optional Price)[*]Blue Printed[*]Dyno Tested[*]Every NEW BIGS Receives Extensive Testing Before Being Shipped[*]We Will Custom Set This Carburetor For Your Application at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!!! Please Have Detailed Engine, Trans, and Rearend Specs on Hand.[/ul]

Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I changed my mind about the EFI...BIGS 750

sounds great, what is your reason for changing carbs?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:11 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If I were spending that kind of money on a carb, I'd get a Pro Systems
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

hmmmmmmmm, well I have a 408 stroker about 500hp, I put on my speed demon 650 vac sec so I bought into the designer carb HYPE, I spent 700+ bucks on a pro systems 950hp tuned to my application, I can tell you my 300.00 speed demon starts easier, runs better cold, idles cleaner and better, better throttle response, the pro systems hits a little harder.....thats it. Both carbs are out of the box.

I'm sure with some tuning the PS will make more power but I have had 3 demon carbs and they have to this day been the best carbs I have ever used, in fact my 650 I bought off ebay remanufactured. My prosystems carb with 30 miles on it is for sale.........if you want a designer carb but I'd say for the money you cant beat a demon. Demons are wet flowed so the cfm rating is usually about 60-100 cfm more than rated. You will hear stuff like metal shavings in castings and summit dropped them.....etc they dropped summit and the metal shavings havent been an issue for years. They even look better than most other carbs.....
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Worth every penny.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The plaques are a nice touch. How does it perform? Did it have any tuning issues?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

The plaques are a nice touch. How does it perform? Did it have any tuning issues?
The plaque comes off

Zero tuning issues
Zero starting issues
Zero issues.

My 65 has had several different carbs....from Tunnel Rams with dual quads, to 770 avengers, to 850s, to 1050s, to a dyno shop prepped 650 on a 850 base. It runs the best out of them all with the Biggs. It starts/idles without a choke in the cold weather (25 degree cold) after only 2 pumps and then 10-15 seconds of holding the RPM around 1500. It has zero flat spot, no studder when transitioning off the idle, I haven't fouled a plug since I started using it and it doesn't shoot black crap out the tailpipes when sitting there idling. I didn't really want to clutter this thread up with my personal love fest proclomation but it appears I have

Adjusting the carb as I have gone through various cams has been a snap and it has never lost a lick of responsiveness. It takes only a couple seconds to swap jets and I've never had to replace a gasket. I gave Jesse my full motor specs the first time I bought it and he set the carb up. I bolted it onto the car and never had to do a thing to it (this is a very serious and true statement, I bolted it down, attached my throttle, turned the key, the car started and idled right where it needed so it didn't even get a tweak on the idle screw).

In fact...the ONLY complaint I have been able to come up with about the carb since the day it arrived....it has larger threads for the air cleaner stub/nut so I haven't been able to screw on my custom air cleaner lid and instead just run with the K&N flow through lid all the time.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 AM
kevinmach1
1st Gear Member

Dodgestang, for a second there I was starting to think I should have just ordered a demon, but after you posted, I am still glad I ordered it. Plus, I have talked to Jesse in the past, and he comes down here locally and races from time to time, so I can talk to him face to face if I need help. As far as cost, I was going to order the BOSSEFI for around 3000 bucks, so actually I feel like I saved money!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

If a custom carb is a possiblity C&S and CSU carbs are GREAT carbs
Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 PM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

The plaque comes off

Zero tuning issues
Zero starting issues
Zero issues.

My 65 has had several different carbs....from Tunnel Rams with dual quads, to 770 avengers, to 850s, to 1050s, to a dyno shop prepped 650 on a 850 base. It runs the best out of them all with the Biggs. It starts/idles without a choke in the cold weather (25 degree cold) after only 2 pumps and then 10-15 seconds of holding the RPM around 1500. It has zero flat spot, no studder when transitioning off the idle, I haven't fouled a plug since I started using it and it doesn't shoot black crap out the tailpipes when sitting there idling. I didn't really want to clutter this thread up with my personal love fest proclomation but it appears I have

Adjusting the carb as I have gone through various cams has been a snap and it has never lost a lick of responsiveness. It takes only a couple seconds to swap jets and I've never had to replace a gasket. I gave Jesse my full motor specs the first time I bought it and he set the carb up. I bolted it onto the car and never had to do a thing to it (this is a very serious and true statement, I bolted it down, attached my throttle, turned the key, the car started and idled right where it needed so it didn't even get a tweak on the idle screw).

In fact...the ONLY complaint I have been able to come up with about the carb since the day it arrived....it has larger threads for the air cleaner stub/nut so I haven't been able to screw on my custom air cleaner lid and instead just run with the K&N flow through lid all the time.
What's the difference betweent the Biggs and say a tuned Holley? I've been looking at the Boss only because I 1: suck at tuning carbs and 2: I want the cold start drivability.
My car is being painted right now and that is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the Boss yet so if I can save money with a Biggs and get greatly improved driveability I'm in. The only problem I have on my setup is I have no idea what my cam specs are, the PO had it installed and neglected to keep any records of it's grind.

Quick Reply: I changed my mind about the EFI...BIGS 750