Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

About to start my 1st project

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:17 PM
my1stproj

Default About to start my 1st project

Hi All, just joined the forum, and am about to start my first restoration project. I know enough about cars to stumble through this project and come out successfully in the end, but I'll probably be asking a lot of questions throughout the process. I hope you all don't mind. I could put a stock engine together, but don't know anything about tuneing an engine or doing things to it other than putting the stock pieces together, so this first post will start with that.

So, let's begin. I am going to restore a '66 289 (If all goes according to plan this weekend). So, if I recondition the stock engine with a 4V carb, it sounds like I could get 225hp at the tires, right? Edelbrock's power package for the 289 (includes cylinder heads, cam, 4v carb) says it could give almost a 125hp boost. Seems unlikely to me, what do you guys know about that? (also, the complete package is almost 3k, pretty expensive).

What do you recommend I do to this engine as I put it back together? I'm not looking for a beast on wheels, but would like something in the 250-300hp range.

(btw, if I ever wanted a beast, could I just bolt on a supercharger on a 289? or would I need to change the whole block? transmission? drivetrain?)

Thanks in advance for your replys
Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: About to start my 1st project

I cannot tell you a ballpark on a 289. I can run some rough horsepower numbers in DynoSim if you can get me specs on the cam, flow numbers on the heads, and intake CFM.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

You can get those numbers out of a 289 without too much problem. But first, you need to check your block. Is it in good or bad condition. What is the mileage? Maybe, think about rebuilding the bottom end while you are tearing into it. Just a suggestion. I do not know nearly as much as most guys on here, but I have asked many a questions, so I know what some of the answeres will be. The edelbrock package, headers, and exhaust will get that car moving.

As others will ask, what are your plans for safety? Upgrading the brakes, suspension, headrests, seatbelts, etc.? 40 year old car doesnt possess the same features as a newer cars.

Plan it all out, think it through on what you want to accomplish, and have FUN!!!
WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM
my1stproj

Thanks guys. Yea, I will recondition the block, and probably replace all the moving components of the engine. In terms of brakes, I was going to do a front disc break conversion, but wasn't planning anything for suspension other than making it stock. What upgrades would you recommend for suspension, mavrick?

Thanks UC, I'll PM you those numbers once I figure out a good combination of parts.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the group. Dont worry about asking questions...we all started somewhere with some really dumb ones. Everyone herre is more than willing to offer advice and even s houlder to cry on when you screw something up. Just ask away.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

It depends...what are your plans for the car? Restomod or classic? There are many different choices out there, and many members with far more knowledge than myself. But, let me know what your plans are, and I'll try to help.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

For the price you will pay for that package and all the parts for the bottom end you can get a 347 crate engine with 400+ hp. If you are considering super charging it later on get forged pistons, forged crank and H beam rods and keep the compresion as low as you can other wise it won't last long.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

welcome, many fun times await you
Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

A stock 4v 289 rebuild will likely net you 225 HP at the crank, not at the wheels. You'll need to figure in 14-18% loss for the driveline.

Quick Reply: About to start my 1st project