Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wierd Noise and A QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

Default Wierd Noise and A QUESTION

1st question: well i keep hearing a sound that i thought was comming from behind my dash and sounded like a buzzer or something electrical buzzing. But latly ive been noticing this when i just start my car and start driving. well i had it parked out in the driveway today and had the door open and reved it a few times and heard the noise again. i poped the hood and could still hear it but it was faint then i stuck my head under my drivers side door and sounded like it was coming from the transmission, wherever it was it was near the header. I dont know why its doing this but it happens in park and driving. What could it be? It only happens when im at low speeds in the neigborhood usually just after i start it.

second question: I called around and its about 200-300 to tune up my motor from the tune shops around here. it shouldnt be to complicated to tune an old motor right? i was wondering if i could do it myself easily and what i should replace.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Wierd Noise and A QUESTION

I had a Buick do that buzzing years ago with an automatic transmission. The transmission then started to slip and pretty soon would not work at all. This all took maybe one or two weeks. The shop said it was like there was shellac in the tranny. Is your's an automatic? Try changing the fluid.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Dancin52
1st Gear Member

I'd check between the headers to make sure they are torqued right, then move down to the collectors and check there too. When they are not tight they will whezz until the exhaust get hot and expands. $200 to $ 300 for a tune-up is bogus. Check somewhere else unless you know how to use a dwell meter and timing light. You need to replace the spark plugs (gap them) replace points and condenser if it's all original. Good luck
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

timing is fairly easy, and gapping isnt that hard if you have a gapping tool. if i were you, i might take it to a good shop and just pay the money to be sure it is done right (cuz if i remember right you were having problems or something). and im assuming shops do more than just spark plugs and timing...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

nah i havent had any problems so far "knock on wood" but i just wanna get a tune up on her because the kid before me was brainless and im sure he raced it and never changed anything or tunned. it hasnt been rebuilt that i know of so i think its time to tune her up before i add a camshaft and intake.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 PM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

tune up shoud at shop rates probably be 100.00,,,yes I know thats way to much , but we're talking shop rates/labor/mark up's etc..can't say about buzzing noise...does the car shift ok and sling shoting as it changes gears? or anything while driving?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

200-300 for a good tune up sounds right these days. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, check timing, set if neccessary, check carb tuning etc. Then when you add 55-80/hr for labor, depending on location, plus disposal fees etc, and some shops will add oil/filter and trans/diff fluid changes to the tune up, it adds up. I worked at a shop like that, we charged around $200-300 for a tune up depending on what was needed, but that included radiator flushes, trans fluid, diffs, transfer cases etc. We checked EVERYTHING. The only thing I'd be cautious about these days with getting an old car tuned up by a shop, is a lot of shops don't have the first clue what they're doing with carbureted cars.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

A normal tune up should be easy enough to do, Unless you are severely strapped for time. You will save tons of shop dollars by doing the simple things yourself. IMHO the hardest part is setting the points and you can fix that for eternity if you switch over to petronix or other electronic ignition. Plugs, wires, cap and rotors are a piece of cake. Many parts stores will even gap the plugs for you. No harder than changing your oil or other fluids. Also invest in a decent timing light and you can do that just as easily plus you can fiddle with the setup over time as you upgrade or change things.