Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

408 update - the doodoo deepens

Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 408 update - the doodoo deepens

Oh, I see the rag in the exhaust valve now, hard to catch! well that sucks a lot man, good luck getting it resolved. Hope the next one goes MUCH better for ya!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: true66gt

im not a "less-engine savvy" guy. i work with engines all day.it just looks to me like someone tapped new holes in the head for a different set of headers....?
Actually the holes are factory AFR because the exhaust ports on those particular heads are bigger and squarer than most windsors. the inner holes are for a standard windsor fit extractor. the outer holes are the ones he used and the flogged out nature is not factory AFR
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It is just one thing after another isn't it.......[:@]

I know it must be hard to look for a bright side,but at least the crankis probably ok... The cost of repair might have gotten a little cheaper..

The most likely worst case might be one piston, one rod, 2 valves w/springs, rockers, pushrods. (All to just one cylinder)

In the very worst case I guess it might be possible that that thecrank, head,and/orthe block could be screwed but I doubt it....

It is a shame what was done to those heads though...so much negligent destruction!

As long as you have the engine out, your exhaust guy should "buy" those heads from you so you can buy some new ones.

(Well at least your mechanic is not your doctor! )
Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Having built more than my share of strokers that have all met 'strange' deaths....I suppose I feel your pain.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Reverb
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure the piston will be ok. The clearance issues will be when the valve is open and that cloth is only just holding it open.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

a) may nto have any bent valves, it doesnt look like that valve is held that far open (cross fingers, and if it IS bad make sure you replace with quality parts like ferrea)

b) im kinda disheartened by AFR not having helicoil's in the ex bolt holes from the factory. for the money you spend i would expect that kinda quality. in the end, you'll end up with heli-coiled holes like they SHOULD have been

c) why in the hell is there no sealer on that cork gasket? does that guy WANT you to have oil leaks?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

c) why in the hell is there no sealer on that cork gasket? does that guy WANT you to have oil leaks?
This may be defensible, I don't glue down the bottom side of the valve cover gasket until after I run the valves..... (after startup)
Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 PM
plcdude
2nd Gear Member

Man that sucks

Would this work. http://youtube.com/watch?v=O39t7jmZgW4
Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

a) may nto have any bent valves, it doesnt look like that valve is held that far open (cross fingers, and if it IS bad make sure you replace with quality parts like ferrea)

b) im kinda disheartened by AFR not having helicoil's in the ex bolt holes from the factory. for the money you spend i would expect that kinda quality. in the end, you'll end up with heli-coiled holes like they SHOULD have been

Excellent point about the helicoils. I would have thought that considering the extreme condtitions header bolts operate under, the helicoils would be standard fittment. I know for sure that virtually any military application of screwing into aluminum, helicoils are mandatory.
I know when I eventually go for some aluminul heads, I'll use them.

As for bending valves or damaging the pistons, It really depends on how far open the valsve was as mentioned, and whether you are using hydralic, or solid lifters. If you're using solid, you will almost definitely have either damaged a valve or bent a push rod. Id put my money on the pushrod bending. They have a tendency to do that anyway.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

im assuming in this thread when you keep saying extractor you mean headers or exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 408 update - the doodoo deepens