Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Where has your car left you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default Where has your car left you?

What is the strangest or most embarrasing place your car has left you stranded?

I decided to drive the mustang in to work today since it was a pretty, clear, and cool morning. On the way into town, I stopped off to get somegas and a car wash. The car wash was super powered and apparently got something wet under the hood that caused the car to die. I had to push the car out of the car wash and get a tow back to the house. Tried to soak some connectors with WD40, but nothing worked. Left it in the driveway with the hood up hoping the sun will dry out whatever got wet.[:@] Everyone passing by in my small town had to chuckle at my clean, wet car parked in front of the car wash dead.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:31 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Where has your car left you?

lol same situation got me car wash! Over by the place I worked in the warehouse district of Atlanta. No way I was leaving my car there!
Called a friend from work he hit the autozone picked me up a new cap and coil. Cap no change ,coil fired right up.
I bet your coil is wet, I started carrying around a spare dry cab and coil in the trunk after that
Old 02-01-2008, 10:38 AM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

about 2 blocks from my house, the carb got dirty and I had no carb cleaner...i was on my way to get some...after that shame, nothing happened
Old 02-01-2008, 10:48 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Good point about the coil. I pulled the dizy cap and it looked ok. The coil is mounted where it could get wet, so I will pick up a new one. Wanted to switch to a MSD coil anyway.

I expect to have issues with a 40 year old car, but man it is embarrasing when you have to push it out of the car wash at one of the only gas stations in town! The worst part is everyone driving by and asking if everything is ok. I just had to say, she doesn't like getting wet.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

just looking @ your car. It draws attention that thing is sweet!
No shame in your car tossing a fit once in a while.
My mustang is my other woman, like a woman she pouts up every now and then and has a fit. lol
Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I had a '65 coupe as my first car back in '78. I was sitting at the drive-thru at Jack-in-the-Box playing racecar (it was a 3 speed) shifting hard through the gears while idling. It got stuck in 2nd gear and I had to drive it home in second only. Ended up having to rebuild the tranny.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

The only place my car has left me stranded was when I was stuck on the side of our school. There's a dirt strip where people are forced to park now since they're re-doing our football field and the construction crews take up a majority of the parking in our parking lot. There's an edge on the other side of this dirt strip and I started rolling over so I gave it more gas and dug my rear tire into the dirt. I was stuck there as every bus drove by.[&:][8D] Now I have chips in my paint from the rocks that got sprayed up and now I have to get those fixed. Damn, I'm stupid.[&:]
Old 02-01-2008, 11:06 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

I had a '65 coupe as my first car back in '78. I was sitting at the drive-thru at Jack-in-the-Box playing racecar (it was a 3 speed) shifting hard through the gears while idling. It got stuck in 2nd gear and I had to drive it home in second only. Ended up having to rebuild the tranny.
That is really funny. I could see me doing something like that!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
mburnz

The summer of my frosh year in college (early 90's), Im down at the Jersey shore with my 68' (still owned today). My alternator starts to go as I'm sitting in traffic. I have people on the small highway telling me my lights are off and I have to explain to them thatI need to save the juice. Car eventually dies and I push it into a condo complex whereI see aguy who was out for a late night run. I ask him if its ok to leave the car here and he tells me he doesn't live here, it's his gf's parents place but he sees no problem with it. Ok fine.....
NOW I have to find a way back to my dad's house which is miles away. I start footing it whena jeep rolls up behind me. Its the same guy I saw at the complex and he offers to drive me home, god bless his soul for I didn't feel like walking from Point Pleasant to Toms River, if anyone knows where I'm talking about!
The next day my dad, who had a van back then, wound up towing me home with rope and we immediately went to the auto store for a new alternator. Fixed her up and spent the rest of the weekend chasing girls and all that....
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

The top of a hill...

Yes, I was stuck at the top. I though about pushing it a tad forward, so I could just let gravity do it's work. But, The hill was like a 40* decline, with a ton of curves and twists. And, I was holding up about 15 cars. Finally got it started, started down the hill, and it died when I got the bottom.

Quick Reply: Where has your car left you?