Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Electronic ignition, and advance questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Fordrules410

Default Electronic ignition, and advance questions

I have a 1967 289 with what appears to be a single diaphragm distributors that has been converted to electronic ignition (before I bought it) using some Napa kit. I know it still uses the vacuum advance, but I am not sure if it still uses the centrifugal advance or not. So I was just wondering if there was a norm. for these conversions are. All I know is that the vacuum will do a full advance, but does not curve at the higher RPMs, like I thought. Also, when I unplug the vacuum line to the diaphragm there is no advance at all. So I am little lost about whether or not there are some electronic ignition kits that take care of the centrifugal advance with the computer or not.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Electronic ignition, and advance questions

Hiya,

that's the way to test it. just as you mentioned.
unplug vac advance and check on advance timing on idle (let's say it's 8deg before OT)
check again with 2500 revs. If it's still hanging at 8-10 degrees then you don't have a mechanical advance.
If it would be corrected via the electronic module you should see the timing change.

first check if you have a mechanical advance in the distributor.
In the newer ones its sitting directly under the rotor. 2 weights that would move outside when spinning (centrifugal). They are hold back via springs.

If you cannot see that then they might be under the contact braker plate, which will be very hard to get to.

If you're lucky and you can see them, check if you can move them outside manually.
They should move. If they're stuck (rust, springs ....) then this is your problem. try to get them going with a (tiny!!!!) bit of oil.

Kalli

Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 AM
65Coupester
2nd Gear Member

If it is the original distributor it definetly has mechanical advance.
Most "performance" distributors are usually ONLY mechanical.
There is no good reason someone would disconnect the weights. The distro is probably gummed up and the top of the shaft, the part with the lobes on it, is not freely moving.

What is the NAPA electronic all about? Part numbers or photos?

Get another distro. Put in a Pertronix or similar electronic ignition, get a Summit Racing brand or MSD multispark CDI and a blaster 2 coil. Finally open your spark gap to 50 mils and your car will thank you.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:17 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

65Coupester:
as in https://mustangforums.com/m_4568302/tm.htm

let us try figuring out first what's actually wrong ... maybe he's got a great distributor already where the weights are a bit jammed or the springs being to hard ...

Old 02-04-2008, 02:16 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kalli

65Coupester:
as in https://mustangforums.com/m_4568302/tm.htm

let us try figuring out first what's actually wrong ... maybe he's got a great distributor already where the weights are a bit jammed or the springs being to hard ...
Oooooooh, BURN!

I think that is the perfect example of what that responsibility post was all about.

Good job, kalli.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:49 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

I think that is the perfect example of what that responsibility post was all about.

Good job, kalli.
I think dropping in an MSD ready to run and then also hooking up a msd 6a box with a blaster 3 coil will most certainly fix any issue you are having.

I just can't resist it now....it is so easy

Anyway testing it is really easy and has been described above. But, I am not really sure what the issue you are having is? Are you troubleshooting a problem or is this simply for personal edification?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yah. but he has only 2 posts under his belt. So we'll leave him off :-)
welcome to the forums by the way !

Kalli