Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I envy whipper snappers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I envy whipper snappers

I learned the basics from my dad, but the bulk of my knowledge has come from hands on school of hard nocks. However with that said the knowledge I have gotten from internet research has been priceless!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

When I started working with cars I had virtually no real mentors to look to in this regard, except for when I might mention trying to do something..... Then I would constantly get "you better not try that, if you don't know what you are doing you will screw up that car bad...."

Well I had a couple of options, find what info that I could in print, and to just do it with the skills and resources available to me....

Ended up getting some stuff right, and some stuff not so right. Still have that first car and someday I hope to get back to it God willing, and make it right....

Even so, I would not trade all of my getting it wrong for having missed the experience of doing it wrong... Besides,,,, a lot of the stuff I "did wrong" has survived the test of time very, very well........ and no,,,, I will not elaborate!!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Back in those days, you learned by MAKING mistakes. Things didnt cost as much, but them again we didnt have all the money in the world either. We made do at times. If you didnt have the money for fancy wheels, you just repainted the ones you had......white preferable or even silver. Those were the good ole days.......manual...we dont need no stinking manual!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Most of mine is from older people i know my step dad my grandfather before he passed away a guy work at a body shop with named john.Only tme i use a book is if i don't know or its a newer car.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

well im glad to be a whippersnapper and can help[8D]
Old 02-05-2008, 09:36 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Yep we have it good alright. I learned most of my car knowledge through my family, books and the internet, and this coming spring I'll be taking classes auto classes at the community college.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Wow. This is a great post. Just last night I was trying to impress upon my daughter just what an invaluable tool the internet is. Being only 10 years old, she doesn't know a world without it.

I was telling her that 'back in the day', I would just grab a volume of the World Book Encyclopedia and head to the can for somelight reading until my legsfell asleeps. "Lets see what's kicking in J-K".

Now the world is but a few clicks away. The good and unfortunately the bad & the ugly as well.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Don't forget the extra advantage we have with a large selection of how-to videos. I just finished rebuilding a T5 and honestly it was one of the easiest things I have done because parts only fit one way. I would not have considered tackling the rebuild if it had not been for two really good videos I own and the ability to call a good friend who rebuilds T5s to fund his car project. Those videos showed me everything I needed to know and the couple questions I had were quickly answered by calling my friend so I was able to rebuild it. there are videos on doing body work, rebuilding various transmissions, rebuilding a carburetor and the list goes on and on.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I'm in the position where I have 4 daughters and no sons. Whenever I get excited about a new part or something being finished on my car, like when I recently installed my new rear end with disc brakes I was all excited. When I told my wife to come look, she wasn't impressed. All I can do is share my excitment here. Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zmetalmilitia

I'm in the position where I have 4 daughters and no sons. Whenever I get excited about a new part or something being finished on my car, like when I recently installed my new rear end with disc brakes I was all excited. When I told my wife to come look, she wasn't impressed. All I can do is share my excitment here. Thanks guys.
I here you there. I have one daughter and my wife and that is it. My daughter still LOVES spending time with Daddy in the garage, but she is only 5 so we will see how long that lasts. My wife likes cars but does not get the trill I do. I am very lucky though because even though my wife can't get excited about the "new install" she can get excited and appreciate the work that went in to it. My wife loves football and going to car shows with me... I am one luck man!!!!!

Quick Reply: I envy whipper snappers