Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc brake conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Default Disc brake conundrum

I've done an engine swap, but I've never put brake pads on

I've always had old cars, and done the shoes, so when I tried to put on some brake pads (onto CSRP's diskbrake kit) I don't think I did it right. If I spin the rotor by hand, I hear it grind up against it. So, I assume I did not push the pad close enough to the caliper.

How do I get it to mate flush to the caliper? I have read and reread the instructions, but still don't get it. It seems like they're just sitting in there, and they can move around and all. I've seen (I think) a Toyota and the pads were actually bolted to the caliper. How do these not just fall off?

Thanks guys, sorry for the confusing description of my problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:51 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Disc brake conundrum

They are held in with the clips. Disc brakes are not really adjustable. Try pressing and releasing the brake pedal a few times and see if the grind sound goes away. Some noise is normal, but if yours is bad, get someone locally to come take a look at it. Brakes are one area that you don't want to screw up.

If you live in a quiet area, you might just drive it REAL SLOW and hit the brakes a time or two. Make sure noone is around and that you have plenty of room for your emergency brake to bring you to a stop.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

How much is it "grinding"? Is it dragging enough to stop the spinning wheel (when jacked up), or does it just contacting enough to make noise while spinning?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baddog671

How much is it "grinding"? Is it dragging enough to stop the spinning wheel (when jacked up), or does it just contacting enough to make noise while spinning?
Yea, it's just contacting enough to make noise.

TexasAxMan:

I know on one side there is an anti-rattle clip, but there's not one for the other pad (that I know of). the instructions say bend the tabs a little, and press it onto the caliper. I'm still not sure though how this is done.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I recently did the granada swap on mine and mine contact just enough to make noise but not drag. Give it a day or two and it should go away once it's broke in...

Assembly was pretty simple I thought, they just clipped right in..
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mySAVIOReigns

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Yea, it's just contacting enough to make noise.

TexasAxMan:

I know on one side there is an anti-rattle clip, but there's not one for the other pad (that I know of). the instructions say bend the tabs a little, and press it onto the caliper. I'm still not sure though how this is done.
Disc brakes do not have a mechanism to retract the pad. They merely relax when the hydraulic pressure is relieved. The padsremain in contact at all times.

Theoutboard pad is retained by 2 tabs that wrap around dogs on the caliper. Gently bend these to remove play in the pad, but make sure the back of the pad remains in contact with the caliper body. Done correctly, you will not have pad rattling.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

okay, I think I am starting to understand. I'll see what I can do with it.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, pads for disc brakes are in constant light contact with the rotors, it also helps keep heat in them, most disc brake pads operate in much higher temperature ranges than shoes do. Just make sure you're using cotter pins, safety wire etc to keep the pads in place.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

did you machine the rotors or are they new?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

ive always heard that slight drag noise in disk brakes is normal.

Quick Reply: Disc brake conundrum