Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

argue with my dad, is this 67 vert worth 6k? is this one worth 5.5 million?

Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM
odonian

Default argue with my dad, is this 67 vert worth 6k? is this one worth 5.5 million?

arguing with my dad. settle this for us. . .please.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...QQcmdZViewItem

i know, i know, the value is in the eye of the beholder and what you want. i'm semi convinced after my last question regarding the cost of floor replacement that i want to buy something to restore myself. i'm going to teach myself to weld and work on cars if it kills me. my dad insists this car is the perfect car for that, but i'm not so sure this car doesn't need a whole crapload more than i will ever be able to do on my own. check out the pics at the bottom as they pretty clearly illustrate the rust problems.

on a totally different note, i ran across this beauty while surfing the internets today. at 5.5 million its the most expensive mustang i've ever seen, but definitely a work of art:

http://www.classicmusclecars.com/cgi...-Available;;sb-
Old 02-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: argue with my dad, is this 67 vert worth 6k? is this one worth 5.5 million?

They are both dreaming.

Other than some numbers perhaps or some story they aren't worth more than 17k for both of them.

that 6cly on ebay might be worth 4,000 *edit* after looking at the pics closer I wouldn't give him more than 1,900 for it, its a 6 cly and has more rust holes than the Titanic

and if you think a chuck of iron and steel with a number banged into it is worth 5.5 mil then thats your problem. that car looks like it would be worth about 15,000 max.
I can think of about 5 members here right away who have cars much better than that and they didnt spend 5.5M on them
Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: argue with my dad, is this 67 vert worth 6k? is this one worth 5.5 million?

LOL I hear ya.
I couldnt spend that kinda cash.
Keep in mind there is comicbooks nothing more than paper and ink that bring 100grand +
1st of anything as popular as the 1st mustang has to bring major $$$$
Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

This looks like a take it down to the bare bones complete rebuild. Probably be able to spend thousands on it even doing the work yourself. If you can see that much rust there is probably a lot more you can't see. $6300? Not a chance. Not even close. And is that straw under the hood? Unless I was an experienced restorer I would not touch this car. A lot of guys on this forum could rebuild it, but it is probably not a good first project.
By the way...you get an A+ for a good attitude combined with common sense. I like the determination in your post. You'll do well.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

I agree with everyone else. The placement of those rust spots leads me to believe this car is in worse shape than you'd guess without experience in bodywork (i'm just an amatuer myself). Definately not a 6k car. For 6k you could get a much better foundation to begin.

While 5.5 mil is high for anything made of metal and rubber, the number 1 stamp on it means big money to an investor. Even if I had the cash to throw down on that vert I'm from the 'cars are to be driven and enjoyed' mentality. Let someone else buy the expensive paperweights. I'd rather spend my time driving rather than looking.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:53 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Try Craigslist for classic Mustangs. Lots of them in all kinds of condition. Here is a sample of one for $6500 in Iowa - 1970 with a 351 and in relatively good condition. Says he's putting in new floors now (major headache you won't have to worry about). The kind of car you can work on. Coupe - not a convertible - but could be a heck of a car and it's the same price as the rust bucket on Ebay. I am not recommending this car. Just using it as an example of what's out there.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/car/530826594.html
Old 02-09-2008, 04:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

+1 on what the other say. the thing on ebay is a rotten 6 cyl. you'll find much better on ewith same model/year for that price.
this one's a rustbucket. if the floor is that bad I'd say the cowl is gone as well. no way I'd spend that kinda money on that car

Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That's not the first Mustang ever, that's the first convertible. Nor is it worth $5.5m. The first Mustang was re-obtained by Ford in like 68 or something, and iirc it's on display at one of the factories. They traded the original owner a brand new, decked out Mustang for it.

If you're looking for something to restore yourself, find a car that isn't full of holes. And unless you plan on leaving the I6 in it, find a V8 car. Doesn't have to have an engine in it, but at least you'll have the rest of the V8 equipment (rear end, brakes, suspension, etc)to support it.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:15 PM
odonian

the problem with me is that i'm being particular and i'm on a budget. i want to buy a 65-67 vert for between 7-9k. I assume that if i find one in that price range its going to have some issues. i'm not expecting anything perfect, but i definitely thought the ebay car was a rust bucket and not worth the money. am i fooling myself in wanting to try to pick up a vert for 7-9k? what i expect for that price is a car that needs a totally new interior, some rust repair (im actually looking forward to learning how to weld, so new floorpans sound like fun, but cowl rust and frame rust maybe not so much), new paint, whatever. how doable would it be for me to try to install power steering and disc brakes? can a determined beginner do it? both of those are pretty important, so if i screwed em up i may wind up running through my garage and killing someone or something. anyway, thanks for settling the argument with my dad, now i get to talk some smack to him and let him know that the people at mustang forums think he's a moron!!! ha!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:43 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't get too cocky, you may want to borrow some moneyto fix the car you end up buying! Neither one are worth the money, find a different car to restore. The powersteering and disc brakes are relatively easy to install, find a V8 car that already has the ps, even if it needs rebuilding and you will have the spindles and rearend for whatever you put in it.