Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rollin Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
StangDB

Default Rollin Rockers

I've seen several diffrent sets of roller rockers out there, witch one would any of you prefer? and at what ratio?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rollin Rockers

I've been sort of wondering the same thing. Just waiting for my car to arrive (hopefully today) and before tear down we're doing a compression test. If all is good I may leave it as is as the PO said he had the engine rebuilt 1.5 years ago and its been sitting since. However if we have to rebuild or refresh things I was thinking about going with roller rockers. Will the push rods need to be changed if so?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I chose the comp cam 1.7 ratio for my 383. They are no installed yet, so I cannot speak to my happiness with them, but they are full roller aluminum rockers and look nice.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
1965forAC

If all you are changing are the roller rockers, the pushrods will not need to be changed...

I am a big fan of Crower Roller rockers...they make really nice stuff. www.crower.com Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. Stay away from the Crane "Energizer" roller rocker - they are cheap in both price and quality (i've had three break in half on one motor).
Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Good point. If you change over to a roller cam/lifters in addition to rockers, you will need to measure for pushrods once you get everything installed. I know compcams has a ton of different lengths if you need something semi-custom.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
StangDB

Yeah im gonna get new pushrods anywhay cause im also running guide plates and i need hardened rods.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I have the Energizer roller rockers on my 331, they work ok for now. I was originally planning on the Comp Cams roller-tip rockers, but I discovered they don't make themfor 7/16" studs, and didn't really have the budget for some nicer rockers. Honestly, you can get better rockers for not much more money, I just didn't realize that at the time.

When I get around to upgrading heads (and get back to a morestandard stud size), I'll probably switch to the Comp CamsPro-Magnum roller rockers. I like Comp Cams stuff

Unless you're trying to get extra lift out of a low-lift cam, there's no reason to use 1.7 rockers. Just get a cam with the lift you want and a set of nice 1.6 roller rockers.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 PM
StangDB

I also like the comp rockers. I think my studs are 3/8'. I cant remember the lift my cam has but i know its rediclous. but it will go great with my double 4 barrels.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

You are probably right about the 1.7 rockers, but I figured, more lift had to be good and the springs are rated for it.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

Scorpion and Omega both make a very nice affordable full roller rocker setup. If you're not going for more lift and aren't sure of what pistons are in your motor you might as well stay with the 1.6 ratio. The 1.7 will give you a little more lift and with a small cam that may push you over the brink of piston to valve clearance. I have run the Comp cams roller tip conversion setup with a little luck in the past, but I've since switched over the comp Gold Engergizer rollers now. I love them. But my cousin has Scorpions in his motor and they're fine as does my brother in his 560rwp 429 Big Block. In the end it's all brand perference as they say.

But I've personnally know or have used Omega, Scorpion, and Comps with no issues at all.

Good luck!!!!

Quick Reply: Rollin Rockers