Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

value question, for restorations...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:44 PM
mightythor99
1st Gear Member

Default RE: value question, for restorations...........

this car is a "u" engine code, the 170 c.i. motor, for '64 1/2's. i can do alot of the work myself, doing it for a couple of reasons. i am not too worried about the profit line, i could sell it now for about 1500 more then i paid, but it's not really about the money. i have some of the parts i need already, a friend who owns a body shop (that wont do it for free, but he'll be fair, and he does great work), i can do most of the mechanical stuff, and the interior. will cost me to put the top on,..........my buddy might be able to do it in his shop. i can do most of the little stuff. i built a couple of them many years ago,..........but that was 25+ years ago, when parts were not repro,.........they were EXPENSIVE...........
i could put a 289 engine, 3 speed manual, would need a 5 lug rear end, i've got a drive shaft, i've got spindles and brakes for the front probably (drums, but 5 lug),..........i guess that is a restomod?
or i can leave it alone, fix what i've got, and enjoy the gas savings.................boy.............does that sound bad........never thought i'd say anything like that!
i built the motor in my gt when gas was 75 cents a gallon...........it's pushing about 300 horse power.........not good for $3 a gallon gas!
just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to destroy final value if i go with a different color, different color interior, or would come out way ahead by making it a v8 car with some options..........or if the options are worth saving for the next one,.........

Old 02-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Dooby
I ♥ Acer

You should never buy or rebuild a classic Mustang with the idea of selling it for a profit in the future. My son will get my 65, and he can pass that on to his son. If you buy a classic Mustang for a future investment profit, you are a dumb ***. It will never happen.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:35 PM
mightythor99
1st Gear Member

no, grass hopper. if you walk around everywhere, looking up in the clouds, you will end up walking off a cliff. if you buy the right car, it costs about the same to restore a gt convertible vs restoring a 6 cylinder convertible,..............give or take,...........but, the finished value is far greater on the gt. in coins, if you shine up the pennies in your collection, you have ruined them for collectibility for the next 50 years,...........you can treat them with chemicals to tone down the whiz job, but any person who really collects coppers will know what is wrong........... so it matters. if more people were looking down the road, vs having their heads buried in their lives just to survive in today's crazy world, our country wouldnt be in the shape we're in right now.
as it stands right now, all i've got to pass it down to, is my dog, and she cant even drive,........even though she THINKS it's HER car...... my nephew isnt interested in driving old "junk", he'd rather have a new one, and be buried in payments and crap. he wouldnt even get a thrill out of changing a motor or tranny......... just pour in gas and go.......... most other kids today are the same way. i can hardly wait to go into a nursing home, and have your kid's kids (i dont mean literally YOUR kid's kids, i mean that generation of children) pushing me around, and keeping me from pissin' in my bed. wont that be special.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
mightythor99
1st Gear Member

oops, forgot. and yes, believe it or not, some people, other then the parts dealers, do make money on mustangs. in the 1970's, my brother got his '66 "c" engine code (2 barrel 289 v8) car for $200,...............in the 80's, to early 90's, they were 500-1000,............., and those were for nice ones, not wrecks or rustangs................
i hope yours lasts long enough for your kid's kids to enjoy it too. happy mustangin'!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 PM
RedGTvert
1st Gear Member

The reality is, your U code 64.5 as it sits will not gather much interest. Personally, I would do it up nice if you can afford it, with an eye towards originality. What I mean by this, so a nice 302 roller or a 331, keeping is as stock looking as possible. Do up the suspension, so you can enjoy driving it and putting the power to the ground. Run a nice 5 speed transmission. Paint it a period correct color. Put a nice pony interior into it.

My personaly feeling, you will be spending money foolishly if you keep it as a 170. It could be a concours gold trailered winner, and it still will not be worth anywhere near what you will sink into it. You are starting with a platform that cost you far less then a D code car, but you have the same body, so why not do a resto that looks authentic and has all the personality of a newer muscle car.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It is simple, it is your car to do with as you like, a convert I-6 would make a nice resto,,,, but it would make a great rod as well.....

Best advice that I have seen in this thread is to "make it your own"....

Pick a direction and go until it is done!!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Not quite sure how to handle this, with the new screen name and all,,,,

but welcome back Glen.

The site is kind of lacking in support for "original Mustang issues"in your absence.

It is good to see you posting!

Take care Glen!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:13 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Bottom line is, its your car, and your money, and your desire. You are right about the cost of restoring a true GT vs a 6 banger, about the same. The market value differenceis huge.